VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my glovebox broke at the hindges the other day. I got a new door at the dealer and tried to put it in. Sounds easy enough, right? WRONG. I was looking at the Bently manual for the glove box and it looked like 7 little screws and it would just pop out. well, I took the seven screws out and the box will not move an inch. Anyone here have experience doing this kind of stuff?? I need some help here. Thanks alot.

[Modified by OrangeGTi8, 12:38 AM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Re: Stupid Glovebox!!!! (OrangeGTi8)

my personal opinion is the glovebox is broken right out of the factory.
anyone carry passengers a good amount of the time? no matter what seating position they are in their knees are close to the dash. opening the glovebox means they get it right into their knees. redesign is needed. hopefully MKV will solve this.

·
Registered
281 Posts

i have the perfect solution . . you know that keyhole in the middle ? put your key in trn it to the right take key out and never put the key back in . . but since yours is already broken ( like mine ) i just stick tissue paper in beteen the so that it doesnt rattle when im driving

·
Registered
364 Posts

This is yet another of the all too common problems with vw. I have a 2000 Jetta and the glovebox door hinge broke twice while still under warranty. If (or when) it breaks again you can bet I'm gonna get vw to pay for it.

·
Registered
574 Posts

I suggest doing a search for instructions on glove box removal. Removing the glovebox requires removal of the center console so you have access to an annoying screw which holds the thing in. There's also a larger phillips screw on the passenger side -- you need to remove the passenger side panel to access that one. Here's a thread I put together a long time ago which details the disassembly of much of the interior:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=341895
Cheers,
nimhrat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts