VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have water spots on my speedo and tach gauges. What have all you detailin' fools used to clean them with out scratching the lenses? They look like they are made of glass, but appear to have some sort of coating on them, as they sometimes have a blue tint. (I like this blue tint and do not want to scratch it or clean it off.) I cleaned my MKIV (which had a clear plastic cover) with what I thought was a soft rag and turned out I scratched the hell out of it.

Any advise on what you all have used would be much appreciated.

· Registered
312 Posts
Re: Stupid question about gauges... (seprovos)

If you're a perfectionist, this really is a problem rarely mentioned. I used some polish specifically made for plastic -- originally bought for an acrylic aquarium. Just google it.
Free bump.

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Klear Screen

I have been using lint free cloths and alcohol free / ammonia free / anti-static cleaning fluid designed specifically for cleaning LCD computer screens and multi-coated optics, among other applications. Been using them on all my cars instrument lenses since 2001. My Mk IV went five years with nary a scratch. Manufacturer is Klear Screen. Used them on the Mk V for a year - no scratches, the optical coating remains in original condition. My instrument cluster lenses still look as good as the day they were delivered
Also kept my Nav screen in pristine condition - until it went in for service and someone in the service department decided to wipe it and damaged it.

I prefer the simple cleaning cloths and the standard cleaning fluid.

Modified by JetTurbo at 6:39 AM 3-19-2008

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.