VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on an auto car...what bolts up where the flywheel would usually be???becuase i have this aba block with just this circle thing on the back of the crank i believe its a flexplate.....did these only come on automatics and if so can i just put the flywheel and clutch assembly in its place?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Re: stupid question but..... (97 GTI 10990)

yes, that would be the flexplate. it bolts to the torque converter in three spots.
the flex plate is held on by 6 stretch bolts, you need to take that off and the thin sheetmetal plate off behind that, and replace it with a plate from a manual car and a pressure bolt. replace those six bolts, they are stretch bolts and one time use!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Re: stupid question but..... (97 GTI 10990)

nope, both cars have a plate against the block. they differ from car to car.
after that plate that surrounds the rear main seal, on an automatic it goes flexplate, than torque converter. and on a manual car, it goes pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel.
the flywheel on an auto is welded to the torque converter iirc

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: stupid question but..... (stoveyy)

ohhh ok thank you for clearing that up trannys clutches and diffs are the only things i havent gotten around to having to fix lol so thanks for clearing that up its been confusing the hell outa me...........anyone have a diagram or something?

Modified by 97 GTI 10990 at 8:28 PM 1-7-2009

1 - 5 of 5 Posts