VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a dumb question that I am sure I could answer if I was actually looking under the car. However, I will ask it anyhow. Can I roll the car without struts, shocks, or springs for like 100 feet? Wouldn't it just rest on bumper stops? I only ask because it is on blocks, and I have wheels and tires for it, but I would rather not have to install a suspension outside in the rain...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Re: Stupid question: roll car without suspension? (crazynorweegian)

basicly youll just bottom out in the wheel wells, if you really wanted to i guess you could do it but the wheels probly wouldnt turn.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
FV-QR

Without struts there are no bump stops. The front hubs will collapse inward and lock up the axles so they won't turn (and probably break them), they will turn inwards because the tie rods won't move, and then the wheels will dissapear in to the arches and probably either rip the arches off or just bind up on everything.
On the back the beam will move up until it hits the frame / brackets and the wheels will bind in the arches.
Just put some struts on it - it's less than an hour's work

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Re: FV-QR (MikkiJayne)

....or be really ghetto and cut some 4x4's and space the beam and control arms. It will bottom out on the blocks rather than the various parts of the car. You might be able to pull it off and roll it down the street or where ever you are trying to move it.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Forty-six and 2)

Thought about doing the 4x4 thing for a car I bought. Ended up getting the seller to install a suspension for me. I think it'll work, for a short distance. (I just needed to get it on a trailer)

hth,
Lloyd

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
or you could have simply lowered the body onto a 4 movers platform type dollys. Just be careful not to crush any lines, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.