VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always wondered what that red mark is for on the speedo at the 50km/h mark, sorry no clue if it's on the MP/H guages??? Any ideas?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (pladwa)

quote:[HR][/HR]Always wondered what that red mark is for on the speedo at the 50km/h mark, sorry no clue if it's on the MP/H guages??? Any ideas?[HR][/HR]​
It is also the point where your oil buzzer will come on should you have any issue (50 KM/H @ 2500rpm)

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (JF)

my us 160 speedo doesn't have a red mark of any kind

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It is also the point where your oil buzzer will come on should you have any issue (50 KM/H @ 2500rpm)[HR][/HR]​

???

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (A2RicedGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]It is also the point where your oil buzzer will come on should you have any issue (50 KM/H @ 2500rpm)

???[HR][/HR]​
If your oil is too thin, or your oil pressure sender is a goner, or else if you have a drop in pressure in your oil, your light/buzzer warning will come on at 50 km/h" 2500rpm. This indicates one of the issues, even if you have enough oil.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks!!! Now I can finally scrap that off my "what the hell is that" list.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It is also the point where your oil buzzer will come on should you have any issue (50 KM/H @ 2500rpm)

???
If your oil is too thin, or your oil pressure sender is a goner, or else if you have a drop in pressure in your oil, your light/buzzer warning will come on at 50 km/h" 2500rpm. This indicates one of the issues, even if you have enough oil.[HR][/HR]​
That doesn't make sense. You can hit 2500rpm in 6 gears(5+reverse) and the speed would be different every time.

[Modified by Batan, 11:41 AM 12-3-2002]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (Batan)

Dunno if it makes sense or not, but it is in my Golf's owner manual !

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

i heard that the red mark was a warning that you shouldn't be in 5th gear while driving under 50km/h

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (nizmobil)

on US cars, if there's a red mark it's just the 55mph (~90kph) mark, which was the national maximum speed limit at the time. Apparently some cars didn't even get that.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (negativl)

its the reccommended speed for tilting your seat back, slouching down, turning your cap sideways and inside out, and giving Honda drivers the furious nod and/or flashing your gang's hand sign

I think dutchman's got it, it's the "recommended" speed for driving around the city.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (Big Dac With Fries)

I dunno, it might just be there for you to stare at it constantly and ask, "why is that mark there?"
Sorry for that shrude comment...I'm in the mood at the moment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Stupid Question: What's the red mark on the speedo for??? (Dutchman)

Guys, I think it's the speed that u can pull your 1st gear to before changing into 2. I know on Opels, theres also 2 others which are the markings for 2nd gear and third gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts