VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure this is something painfully obvious.

But if the radio is on and I connect my phone for carplay, how do I turn the radio off? If the sound system is powered down, then carplay won't connect. I can switch radio over to media and then eject the sd card, but that seems stupid.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You lost me at "eject sd card", not sure where that comes into play. Otherwise, yes, I believe you just select the media you want to listen to. Can you add which year, model and infotainment equipment you have so others with more knowledge might be able to jump in?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ASSUME op wants to use carplay for nav with no music playing. OP could just mute the radio OR just hit pause so no music is playing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ASSUME op wants to use carplay for nav with no music playing. OP could just mute the radio OR just hit pause so no music is playing.
Exactly, so how do you mute the radio? I basically just want to turn off the radio without turning off the power to the entire console.

·
Registered
367 Posts
So you just want no audio? Just open your preferred audio player and when it starts playing just pause or stop it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If that's the best option, then its bad ui
Welcome to VW... or likely any other car that uses multiple inputs like AA/CP. I generally drive with no audio only on longer trips where my kids want a movie playing in the back. But, if I wanted to hear navigation commands (and likely AA audio - not sure as I have no need), you can just turn the volume to 0 and then adjust AA navigation audio up. I am pretty sure this works - just not sure it works for what you want.
I guess I just don't understand the problem. You get in, the radio is on. You plug your phone in or connect wirelessly, toggle over to whatever media you want to listen to and then press play or whatever you need to do. That new audio takes over.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just realized you cant actually mute the radio. To mute the radio, youd just turn the master volume all the way down. But that in turn will mute the navigation as well. So your only option is to connect to CarPlay or whatever and stop any music thats playing by pausing it. Alternatively there MIGHT be individual volume level adjustment in the menus, but i never looked into it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's not a big deal. My wife leaves the radio on some terrible station and I want to plug in carplay without immediately using the carplay audio. I can turn down the volume and then turn in back up when I need sound, but I figured there was a off or mute button for the radio (without turning off the console) that I was missing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts