VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only engine swap stuff that is FAQ'd is the ABA. Just curious if anyone has bookmarked a 3A install (or if anyone has even done a full write-up).
I need to know:
-What clutch/flywheel to use (fox needs a new clutch anyways)
-engine mounting issues (I forget what the engine mounts looked like in the Audi)
Anyone got anything?

Modified by dtompsett at 12:55 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
7,987 Posts
Re: stupid search won't do '3A'.... anyone have bookmarks? (dtompsett)

If I remember correctly, you use the stock Fox clutch and flywheel and you use the stock Fox mounting brackets and it bolts right in there.

· Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so, the ultimate question.... if I can get this engine, should I just install a stock clutch kit, or look for something with a little more performance.... car won't really be driven that much.

· Registered
3,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (efritsch)

Quote, originally posted by efritsch »
Is this for the rally car or ?

Well... rallycross car.
My problem is that all the performance stuff I see is listed for golf/jetta/scirocco..... and comparing pics of the stock clutch disks, the fox one looks different.

Modified by dtompsett at 7:08 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
5,703 Posts
Re: (Fox-N-It)

Quote, originally posted by Fox-N-It »
I believe the DP fits with slight clearencing of the subframe. Just a small notch is all thats needed. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This would make sense: the 80 DP runs under the driveaxle in the 5-cylinder style. A notched subframe might clear the pipe. You'd still have to run a lot of new exhaust to connect it to anything.
I have bolted in 3As to three different Foxes. They go in easily. The passenger side engine mount bracket is funky on the 3A, and I have always opted for tapping an extra hole (boss is already there and center-marked--just needs drilled and tapped) and using the Fox/B1/B2 bracket. Having never used the 3A mount bracket on a Fox, I don't know if it interferes with mounting of AC or other stuff.
Stock clutch is fine, too. Just buy a new one. FrankenFox ran on an OE Sachs clutch with no slippage at all. You have to use the Fox/B1/B2 flywheel, as the 80 unit is too large in diameter with too large a p-plate bolt pattern and too large a ring gear.

Modified by Longitudinal at 8:41 AM 9-9-2005

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.