VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a factory deck without RCA Preouts, and wish to keep the factory deck but also install an amp and subwoofer, wat are my options, do I have to use a crossover network thingy, or just get a high fidelity amp, which is my best choice or do I have another choice.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Re: Sub and Amp Install question? (soso)

If your factory HU does indeed have RCA pre-outs, the simplest way to do what you want is run them into an amplifier that has a lowpass crossover built into it.
You did not say how many pre-outs though. If it only has 2 then the output from them probably does not change relative to the fader on the HU. If you have 4 then it most likely does. What will happen is that if you only use 2 pre-outs of the 4 into your amp, the bass level will change when you adjust the fader on the HU. To eliminate this from happening, you need to take both of the R pre-outs and y-cable them together. Do the same with the L pre-outs. You now have 2 pre-outs from 4 and the 2 can be run into the amp. When configured this way, the position of the fader will not affect the bass level.
speaker

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Sub and Amp Install question? (speaker)

thanks for the tip, but the HU I'm talking about doesn't have RCA Preouts, that's what I was asking about.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Quote, originally posted by soso »
If I have a factory deck without RCA Preouts

?????
My mistake. I read that as "with" not "without".
speaker

Modified by speaker at 3:54 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

Quote, originally posted by soso »
If I have a factory deck without RCA Preouts, and wish to keep the factory deck but also install an amp and subwoofer, wat are my options, do I have to use a crossover network thingy, or just get a high fidelity amp, which is my best choice or do I have another choice.

Once more with feeling and possibly the correct answer!
You can use an amplifier that has a high-level input or use a high-level interface adapter from Scosche, PIE, Metra, Soundgate, etc. In other words, there are a host of components that will let you do this. It convert the high-level speaker out of the HU into line-level. You then use the lowpass crossover in the amplifier.
http://www.soundgate.com/produ...x.htm
speaker

·
Registered
743 Posts
Re: Sub and Amp Install question? (speaker)

You can get an adapter that plugs into the back of the factory HU.
You need the Blaupunkt adapter, which gives four RCA outs and
a remote wire. Will post website where this can be had. Crutchfield
may also have it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Re: Sub and Amp Install question? (Irie18Turbo)

I should be getting a bunch of these sometime next week.
Plan to part with them for $8 shipped. Let me know if you need one.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for all the responses, I don't if the blankpunkt will work cause this install I'm doing is on a brand new accord coupe, I have a small business where I do sound system installs and such, I've never ran into this problem so I had to ask around, and the guy wanted to know if it would be better to use a crossover or a high level input amp.

·
Registered
7 Posts

hi.
i am currently tapping into my rear speaker lines to get my signal. this gives me a signal to my alpine amp and then to my bazooka (a$$) sub.
these wires then go to the monsoon stock amp in rear of car, are crossed over and then sent to respective factory speakers.
my problem is that everything sounds terrrible and not clean at all.
i would love to know if the adapter you are talking about will work on my 2002 vw gti 1.8t?
in other words, do i have a place that this adapter actually plugs into?
if so.... i can run an rca cable to my sub amp and not have to tap into the wires. right?
the problem is that the signal being sent to the stock amp is still a full range signal and it is causing my stock speakers to distort.
please let me know if you know if this adapter will work with my double din monsoon HU?
thanks
jp

·
Registered
743 Posts
Re: Sub and Amp Install question? (jpgti18t)

Quote, originally posted by jpgti18t »
hi.
i am currently tapping into my rear speaker lines to get my signal. this gives me a signal to my alpine amp and then to my bazooka (a$$) sub. these wires then go to
the monsoon stock amp in rear of car, are crossed over and then sent to
respective factory speakers. my problem is that everything sounds terrrible and
not clean at all. i would love to know if the adapter you are talking about will work
on my 2002 vw gti 1.8t? in other words, do i have a place that this adapter
actually plugs into?
if so.... i can run an rca cable to my sub amp and not have to tap into the wires. right? the problem is that the signal being sent to the stock amp is still a full range
signal and it is causing my stock speakers to distort. please let me know if you
know if this adapter will work with my double din monsoon HU? thanks.
jp

If you are able to. Pull out the HU and look for a yellow socket at the back.
The Blaupunkt adapter plugs in there. If present, the adapter should fix your
problem.
I think your levels are coming in too high. The BA gives line level output.
Just verify that the socket is on the back of your HU for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts

okay. i will see what i can do tomorrow.
if the yellow plug is not there, then i am taking the amp and the sub back to circuit city, getting my money back and putting it toward my new wide angle nikon lens.
i will check it out tomorrow to see if its there.
thanks
jp

·
Registered
743 Posts
Re: Sub and Amp Install question? (jpgti18t)

Its been confirmed for me that the Blau adapter will work on
monsoon headunits. My friendly neighbourhood VW tech/stereo
installation guru confirmed it.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts