VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I know the late 90's EJ25 powered Subarus have above-normal head gasket failure rates. Did they get this resolved on the newer ones? if so, what years?

·
Millennial
German crap
23,855 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (EJ25) stop having head gasket issues (Coupe__88)

well...i dont know for sure, but i have a 2000 forester w/140k miles...no problems yet.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (EJ25) stop having head gasket issues (Coupe__88)

I think all 2004+ models have this issue resolved...

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (hotweiss)

Quote, originally posted by hotweiss »
I think all 2004+ models have this issue resolved...

This is the current logic. My '03 just had them done. '04 was still the BE platform in the U.S., so you'd want an '05 and up to avoid the HG issue with greater certainty.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (FujiTekniques)

Thats good enough for me, I figured the new legacy was a different story than the last couple generations. Thanks for the info.

Modified by Coupe__88 at 5:19 PM 1-9-2009

·
Registered
11,592 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (FujiTekniques)

Quote, originally posted by FujiTekniques »

This is the current logic. My '03 just had them done. '04 was still the BE platform in the U.S., so you'd want an '05 and up to avoid the HG issue with greater certainty.

I thought they made a change to the HG's for 2002...
No proof of that, just what I remember from researching Subi's before we bought ours.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (Rabbit5GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Rabbit5GTI »
well...i dont know for sure, but i have a 2000 forester w/140k miles...no problems yet.

I'd go find a big piece of wood to knock on.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (PoorHouse)

Quote, originally posted by PoorHouse »

I thought they made a change to the HG's for 2002...
No proof of that, just what I remember from researching Subi's before we bought ours.

I'd heard the problem only affected 1996-early 2001 subaru 2.5L engines when researching for buying a Subaru (ended up in a 2.2L) and for a possible Vanagon engine swap. Though, I searched, and can't find the info now.

·
Registered
270 Posts

pretty sure the issue ends with the SOHC engines. the previous DOHC engines had the issues.
I believe 2000+ Legacies are all SOHC. 1999+ Imprezas are all SOHC.
no idea when Forresters become SOHC.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (turbo22)

Quote, originally posted by turbo22 »
pretty sure the issue ends with the SOHC engines. the previous DOHC engines had the issues.
I believe 2000+ Legacies are all SOHC. 1999+ Imprezas are all SOHC.
no idea when Forresters become SOHC.

When I brought this up to my service advisor, he said that Subaru "improved" the design for the SOHC cars but did not eliminate the potential for HG failure. That being said, I'm sure you can find a few owners who will tell you they have 150K with no HG repair.
I could have nursed my car along for quite some time with no problem but I chose not to. I think it's far less common for the 2000+ SOHC cars to have HG problems than the BD/BG chassis, but it's still a trouble spot for the newer cars.

Modified by FujiTekniques at 12:45 AM 1-11-2009

·
Registered
19,889 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (MagicBus)

Quote, originally posted by MagicBus »

I'd heard the problem only affected 1996-early 2001 subaru 2.5L engines when researching for buying a Subaru (ended up in a 2.2L) and for a possible Vanagon engine swap. Though, I searched, and can't find the info now.

x2. That is my understanding.
My aunt bought the very first '00 Outback delivered to the Jax, Florida Subaru dealership. It just rolled over to 100k miles and hasn't had any head gasket issues. Everyone says first-year models always have teething problems but she's only had a couple couple of A/C issues (but she's in south Georgia so the A/C is almost always on) and a fuel pump. It's a great car.
My mom has a '96 Outback with the bulletproof 2.2-liter/5-speed combination. It has about 160k miles and still runs great, doesn't burn any oil, etc. The upside of the 2.2-liter engine is that it is non-interference, so you don't have to stress about replacing the timing belt if you buy a car with an unknown history. I believe '96 was the last year for the 2.2 in the Outback. It's not the fastest thing in the world and has short gears so it revs high in the interstate, so keep that in mind if you find one.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,525 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester (adrew)

'96 is the only year for the 2.2 in the Outback, if you don't count the quasi-Outback '95 model. I didn't even realize that engine was available until I saw one for sale a couple months ago. I believe it was a U.S. model and that the 2.2 never came to Canada in the Outback.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I had a 95 Legacy wagon with the 2.2L engine, although sadly it was paired with the 4eat. It got terrible fuel economy, but I blame that on poor maintenance over the years and the fact that you usually needed to give it a good bit of throttle to get it moving at a reasonable pace. It was a great car though! Only had a few minor issues over its life span in my family and always started.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Re: Subaru guys, What year did the Legacy/Forester ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
'96 is the only year for the 2.2 in the Outback, if you don't count the quasi-Outback '95 model. I didn't even realize that engine was available until I saw one for sale a couple months ago. I believe it was a U.S. model and that the 2.2 never came to Canada in the Outback.

'96 is also a split year from what I understand. The 2.2 Liters were only paired with the 5-speed manual, and 2.5 liters were only paired with the 4-speed automatic, which for '96 required premium fuel and only had an output of 155HP. '97 is when the 2.5 was made standard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts