VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rear windshield wiper on a sedan.
2 years ago, i bought a rear wiper assembly from a GTI, and fully intended to affix it to my 91 Jetta GLI. I got in an accident and scrapped the idea before it ever took shape, but i've been posting about it randomly here and there, but now someone's actuailly done it!
if it were on a focus, or any lesser vehicle, i'd be wallowing in my own self pity.... however, since Subaru has outdone themselves completely with the new Legacy, I give them full rights to use my intellectual property on this FINE piece of art.....
Above all, I wish Subaru THE BEST of luck as a company, and i'm buying stock very shortly.. i suggest y'all do the same, because with the addition of this all new legacy to their already stellar lineup (WRX/STI, Forester turbo's, baja (??it's original.. afterall, it is the brat; reloaded) quite frankly, I can't WAIT to watch every single previous sales record they've ever had be beaten to smitherines... I think this car is going to take this company farther than it's ever been before, and i'm going to sit back and watch as they shock themselves with the sales figures... they're like the little engine that could... a relatively small company (compared to the Japanese GIANTS) that single handedly impressed upon me the fact that sometimes less is more, and it doesn't nessecarily take a V8 to get scary performance numbers.. and that you don't neeed a big burly SUV to drive down a dirt road.. and that their cars are more capable than most anything else out there, based on their simple philosophies that they've REFUSED to let go of... every other company has succumbed to the SUV fad, and they're now making the "crossover" vehicles and trying to pass it off as a new idea... subaru's been making the same thing since the early 80's! 4x4 station wagons...
It's my honest belief that this one car, when parked on the lot next to all the others, will take this company places it has never been. Before too long (as if they haven't already.. they're responsible for the entire automobile industry going affordable AWD... audi didn't do it.. subaru did) they'll be setting a new benchmark for style, performance, and overall design of a fully funcitonal vehicle for every different application, all in one nicely appointed, leather'ed up, dash stroke-able package.
I <3 THIS CAR, AND ITS REAR WINDSHIELD WIPER

http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy...s.jpg
..............just passin' thru

edit: please keep pics posted directly 800 pixels wide or less

Modified by Henry at 9:35 PM 12-17-2003

·
Banned
5,847 Posts
Re: SUBARU stole my idea! (SuperchargedLSS)

Quote, originally posted by SuperchargedLSS »
believe it or not, 2 years ago, i bought a rear wiper assembly from a GTI, and fully intended to affix it to my 91 Jetta GLI. I got in an accident and scrapped the idea before it ever took shape, but i've been posting about it randomly here and there,
suuuuuure ya did. do a search & post up those past comments

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: SUBARU stole my idea! (Bantastique)

Quote, originally posted by Bantastique »
suuuuuure ya did. do a search & post up those past comments

listen you heckler... do a search on my PREVIOUS sn of 3 years with just shy of 8000 posts, and you'll find it.... but given the rather bumpy history of my last handle, it shall remain anonymous.

·
Registered
41,822 Posts

2 years ago? JDM sedans have had rear wipers available since the '80s. Even comparatively low-end stuff like Civics. It's usually part of a sport package (like, for the Civic it only came on the SiR).
See, even this early '80s R30 Skyline RS has one:

Okay, it's a 2 door, but it's a 2 door with a steep notchback rear window.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: SUBARU stole my idea! (AKADriver)

I've never seen a rear wiper on anything but hatchbacks, station wagons, and SUV's.... so to me, living in the states and never in my life traveling abroad, it's a new idea... on a mass produced import or domestic, it's a new thing for us not privledged enough to have enjoyed the fruits of rear wipers on your everyday sedan lol

i was joking when i said it was my idea... it's very clear... don't take me too seriously, i'm still the same old joejetta i used to be
...... oops

·
Registered
8,988 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SuperchargedLSS »
but given the rather bumpy history of my last handle, it shall remain anonymous.

Given your current rating of 90% after 283 posts, I'd say you aren't doing so great with the current one either.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: SUBARU stole my idea! (Y2KRICEBOY)

2nd gen Prelude had a rear wiper (maybe JDM only?), also the 3rd gen (1986-89) Mazda 323 Sedan had a rear wiper. My 87 Audi Coupe (hatch shape, but small trunk lid) also has a rear wiper.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: SUBARU stole my idea! (vduBen)

Quote, originally posted by vduBen »
I can't imagine it would be great for aerodynamics

The rear window is usually a low pressure area, so it doesnt have much influence on aerodynamics.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: SUBARU stole my idea! (PerL)

Yeah, JDM sedans have been coming with them for awhile now. I know that some 91-92 Galant VR-4 owners have been trying to get JDM Galant VR-4 rear windshields with the built in rear windshield wiper. I would love to have a rear windshield wiper, but I don't think it's worth the shipping cost for a windscreen from Japan.
I know it's not a Galant VR-4, but it's a Galant AMG:

I'm hoping more JDM sedans come to the US with rear wipers, like the Lancer/Lancer EVO.

Rob

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Re: SUBARU stole my idea! (focalBlur)

Quote, originally posted by focalBlur »
it's an option on US spec Lancers
standard on US spec EVO's
Rather common on sedans in Japan
found on several European Sedans

exactly...Japanese spec vehicles and some Euro cars have had rear wipers for years now...not exactly an original idea...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts