VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know ANYTHING about the Subaru WRX Sedan with an automatic? All I know is its a 4 speed electronically controlled automatic...
I can't find any performance figures with automatic, and does anyone know how they hold up, how they run and feel?
BTW, no this is not for me, this is going to be my mom's car, so it MUST be an automatic

·
Registered
23,018 Posts
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (TabulaRasa)

I'd have to agree with that...does she have a real NEED for a WRX? The 2.5RS is fine for most people's needs...

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (TabulaRasa)

The car is hers, doesn't mean it won't be used by us

Insurance is no matter.. And she does use the performance somtimes, she is a person who isn't afraid to put their foot into it.
And she is coming from a 300hp Mercedes E420, so I think she wants something with almost as much power...
-edit-
Oh, and other reason, there is a used WRX automatic that has been sitting there forever, because no one wants an automatic, so we can get it fairly cheap.

[Modified by Missing the point, 10:14 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
23,018 Posts
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (Missing the point)

Get it if you can get a deal on it. Then go with a turboback exhaust and a Unichip. Should make the car a lot more fun to drive...even if it is an automatic. *retches silently in corner*

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (SchrickVR6)

Yup.. i would like to know some numbers too... since my friend who CONSTANTLY BRAGS about how good/fast his car is.... but all i found were numbers for a stick...
I really need something to shut him up

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Edmunds Roadtest Follow Up: Subaru WRX Wagon - Automatic
quote:[HR][/HR]
From a standing start, the automatic amplifies the engine's sluggish low-end response. Step on the throttle after coming off the brake, and the WRX dribbles forward. In our first acceleration run, we recorded an unimpressive 0-to-30-mph time of 4.0 seconds on the way to an 8.7-second 0-to-60. Better results can be obtained by using a brake torque launch technique. This technique (for an automatic transmission only) is done by placing the transmission in drive, firmly applying the brakes with the left foot and applying ever-more throttle with the right. The brakes keep the car immobile while the engine spools up until it reaches the transmission's stall speed. Results vary depending on the type of powertrain, but the WRX responds quite well. Done this way, the WRX winds up to about 3,000 rpm and then shoots forward vigorously once the brakes are released. Our best acceleration run gave us a 0-to-60 time of 6.7 seconds with the quarter-mile occurring in 15.1 seconds at 89.0 mph.[HR][/HR]​

[Modified by Dinosaurius, 1:47 AM 8-8-2002]

·
Banned
2,208 Posts

WRX Automatic is mechanically different than the regular manual WRX.
WRX Auto uses Subaru's own Variable valve Intake tech, like VTEC to help keep the turbo spooled. The gearing is also different. There's like 100-200lb+ difference with the auto.
The dealers told me that the WRX auto has sold better than the stick, because a lot of yuppy drivers want their wives to be able to take the car out.
I don't recommend the WRX family, stick to Outlook Impreza which is 2.5RS or go with the Subaru Forester.
The Auto totally kills the fun out of the turbo.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (Dinosaurius)

quote:[HR][/HR] Edmunds Roadtest Follow Up: Subaru WRX Wagon - Automatic

From a standing start, the automatic amplifies the engine's sluggish low-end response. Step on the throttle after coming off the brake, and the WRX dribbles forward. In our first acceleration run, we recorded an unimpressive 0-to-30-mph time of 4.0 seconds on the way to an 8.7-second 0-to-60. Better results can be obtained by using a brake torque launch technique. This technique (for an automatic transmission only) is done by placing the transmission in drive, firmly applying the brakes with the left foot and applying ever-more throttle with the right. The brakes keep the car immobile while the engine spools up until it reaches the transmission's stall speed. Results vary depending on the type of powertrain, but the WRX responds quite well. Done this way, the WRX winds up to about 3,000 rpm and then shoots forward vigorously once the brakes are released. Our best acceleration run gave us a 0-to-60 time of 6.7 seconds with the quarter-mile occurring in 15.1 seconds at 89.0 mph.

[Modified by Dinosaurius, 1:47 AM 8-8-2002][HR][/HR]​
woohoo, you rule

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (Traderx25)

quote:[HR][/HR]WRX Automatic is mechanically different than the regular manual WRX.
WRX Auto uses Subaru's own Variable valve Intake tech, like VTEC to help keep the turbo spooled. The gearing is also different. There's like 100-200lb+ difference with the auto.
The dealers told me that the WRX auto has sold better than the stick, because a lot of yuppy drivers want their wives to be able to take the car out.
I don't recommend the WRX family, stick to Outlook Impreza which is 2.5RS or go with the Subaru Forester.
The Auto totally kills the fun out of the turbo.[HR][/HR]​
Automatic adds 55lbs. not 100-200+

And the automatic is only sluggish from standing start, once the car is moving its just as fast as the manual... almost...

·
Registered
23 Posts

Whats the point of getting an auto in a drivers car. If you are moving from a Benz why don't you get a jetta, a4, or even a c-class? I'm sure your mom will appreciate a way nicer interior over a turbo. This is the same reason why i'm not driving a WRX.
Insurance is way too high for me to own my own car so I share with my mom, a 2k jetta glx. she got the auto not because she could not drive a stick but because she wanted an entry level luxry car. She feels having a stick on such a car would be pointless.. Way back in Poland where she learned to drive all they had were sticks
She also considers the WRX a down-grade, but she does like the 1.8t a4 even with the manual tranny. I guess my next car will have AWD, turbo, and a 5spd.

I would seriously reconsider you purchase of a WRX. The WRX is a driver's car it shouldn't be auto. What's the point of such a nice car if you can't experience it fully? If she can't drive a stick do you think she'll really enjoy it?
Overall, it's your money not mine. If you want an auto WRX get it.
-Dave

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (Dave_VR6)

Just because it an automatic doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.
Our Mercedes is an Auto, and its an extremely fun car to drive.
One question, I said that we are selling the Mercedes becasue its a presteigous car, why would we go and get another C-class?
If we can't get the WRX, we are prolly gonna get a New Beetle TDI. She test-drove a new Maxima, and she didn't like it. She thought it was pretty much the same as our Mercedes, just worse. No improvements, so why sell the Mercedes?
Main reason we are selling the Mercedes is because of status, and because it isnt great on fuel.
-edit-
By the way, we are going to be test-driving it over the entire weekend, so I will remort what we find out then

[Modified by Missing the point, 11:32 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
23 Posts

sorry, i didn't read about the too prestigious part
. If fuel economy is a concern the WRX is not that great (19 mpg / 26 mpg, the same as my jetta but i have a 2.8l VR6 not a 2.0 4 banger). It would be good in the snow or rain, but i don't know how much you get over there. You almost need AWD in Alberta winters

If fuel economy is that big of a concern I would get a TDi, i'd personally go with golf or jetta. But I'm addicted to AWD so that is a must for my next car, RWD would be good too but no more FWD, I wanna practise drifting initial d style
ahh the fun I would be having if the jetta was AWD or RWD. Powerslides get boring after a while.
-Dave

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Subaru WRX Automatic (Dave_VR6)

nod, AWD is the primary factor in why we want the WRX. Never would we get a 2.0, had a 2.0 Jetta before (now LBS's 1.8T Jetta), and it was tooo slow for us.. Even the Subaru Outback we test drove a while ago was too slow, thats why WRX is the only option left.
We'd rather not get a TDI, since my mom doesnt like dealing with diesel, and the only time she would fill up is when I am there... hehe.
WRX gets better gas mileage than the Mercedes, however, by 2 or 3 in city..

1 - 20 of 46 Posts