VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1041 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I figured since I'm "building" my car…or at least working on it, I'd start a thread to keep track of my progress and such.

I bought the car back in February 2009, it was my first German car, my background was purely JDM and I really wasn't that excited about the car when I got it other than it being a 6 spd. I also didn't have any plans for the car other than coilovers, but as this thread shows, that changed almost instantly haha.

I'm stoked at where my car is heading, I also plan on keeping it, no plans on selling or parting out, just a constant work in progress. I'm doing 110% of the work with my own hands, I'm also learning as I go with most of this stuff. So stay tuned, subscribe, ask questions, give thoughts/ideas and critiques, whatever, this thread will be updated as I do work and there will be much work doing in the coming months.

[01/11/13]

Here's a list of things that need to be done in no paticular order:

-> Hood
--- cut out supports
--- cut out the section where the louvers will be placed
--- fab a stainless raintray to go under the louvers (think Evo)
--- weld in the louvers
--- grind, sand, fill
--- paint

-> Bay
--- finish fabbin' them tubs
--- weld up the raintray
--- weld up a few other spots in the bay
--- grind down everything, sand smooth & fill
--- paint

-> Front Bumper
--- take some measurements and tape the 2 halves together
--- mold the GLI upper with the .:R32 lower
--- pick up some lower grille inserts and save for fogs
--- Cupra R lip
--- widen to match the fenders

-> Rear Bumper
--- mold the valance and prime

-> Fenders
--- on hold till everything else is buttoned up
--- possibly widen the rears a good 1" or so....no poke.....idk yet

-> Engine/Tranny
--- prime & paint!
--- strip valve cover and refinish/fill and smooth

-> Harness
--- cut hole in the damn floor to run everything
--- run everything that's long enough to come out the other side of the frame rail
--- strip all the short stuff and solder in some long ass wire and run it through
--- connect the engine harness pigs and find the best way to run all that stuff
--- set the engine/tranny back in and dry run everything before paint, solder, etc.

-> Trunk
--- sand off the emblem area
--- cut out material
--- weld up the emblem spot
--- grind, sand, fill and prime

-> Brakes
--- machine front adapters and find hardware
--- fab up some wood rear adapters
--- purchase rear rotors (still debating on what size)
--- run all new lines
--- acuire stainless lines from caliper to solid lines
--- sand the calipers down
--- powder coat calipers

-> Other Crap
--- intercooler or new hoses
--- relocate the PS rez. but I really want a stainless one....
--- run new fuel lines in a clean and orderly fashion
--- Raxles!!!
--- start the car and drive until it explodes, then give all of my paychecks to Integrated Engineering

TIMELINE:

IN STOCK FORM

Believe it or not, this car was stock for well over a year after I bought it. I didn't have money to throw at it (not that I do now) and it was an awkward transition over to the German stuff. I knew that if I started modding right away, I'd regret it, so I took it slow and left it alone.

FIRST MODS

The first thing I did to the car was paint the grille black, simple and subtle. I then traded my BBS RC's (regretfully) for some brand new Rota DPT's (18x9//18x9.5). They looked ok, meaty tires and when I put the coils on I kinda liked it, but overall meh. It was good to get 9's up front right off the bat, I learned a lot about offsets and spacing problems with coilovers.

THE START OF IT ALL

One day I was at a stoplight and pulled up next to a C5 Z06 and thought, man I've always loved those wheels, so well designed.....hmmm...I wonder what they'd look like on the Jetta. I literally wasted no time, went home and found a set on Craigslist and traded a rich dude some old speakers for the set in MINT shape, ZERO money down. This was to be my first attempt at adapting wheels and a hefty task at that, a very aggressive fitment @ 17x9.5 // 18x10.5. I did a buttload of research on the 'Tex and came up with a great fitment. I thought it was awesome....and then people pointed out my lack of low and meaty front tires. :laugh: SO I eventually and progressively continued to lower the spindles.

These wheels were really the start of everything else that would happen to the car. As you can see with some of the pics, I began to start pulling the rear fenders out to accommodate the wide rears. You can also see how jacked up the front fenders got...my skills were mediocre at best, but a jumping off point none-the-less.

OOOOOOOOOPS!!

Then I decided to not pay attention on my way to work...good thing I had my 5dmk2 in the rear seat (in a case thankfully lol). I really thought this was the end of the Jetta, I popped the clutch and pulled the key as fast as I could, but I didn't have faith that it would be fixable. But I was fortunately wrong and it came back better than ever.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
RE-BIRTHINGS!

I was lucky...in a way...that right when I had the accident, my [soon to be friend] Geoff was parting his shaved and stroked VR6 MK4 Jetta out, so I snatched up his hood and fenders for cheap. The hood was already bosered and the fenders already shaved, so I had the shop strip them down and respray them from bare metal. Turned out that the body shop was ran by clowns and they really ****ed things up. They had my car for nearly 2 months, ordered the wrong grille, put holes in my bumper even when I told them no AND used paint to lock in moisture on the hood, so it immediately started rusting. Unfortunately they told me to take them to court and I would have, but I was broke, so I sucked it up and moved on (after I told them to eat dicks and **** off).

I GET BORED REALLY QUICKLY

It's true, especially with wheels, THERE'S TOO MANY AWESOME CHOICES OUT THERE!! BUT, I'm poor, so I make do with what I have. I decided they needed some color, something different, but not too loud, I'm a very muted person...well, for the most part. So I grabbed some cans of Montana Gold and primer and some gloss clear and went to town. I sanded each wheel down through the clear and into the color and sprayed each one in my garage. I was kind of excited about them for a bit, but they started to chip almost immediately. So I started looking for replacements and put em up for sale.

FRAME NOTCH, LOWS AND AMG'S

So, the Vette's were for sale for a long time...mainly because they were painted a color that no one wanted and had stretched tires on them. I dismounted everything, sold the adapters separately and eventually sold the wheels to a guy that was building a '72 Stingray. With the coins in hand, I found a super cheap and local set of AMG Monoblocks with adapters, they just needed some love. They were in really rough shape, so I sanded each one, starting with 200 grit all the way to 2000 and then polished them. I think I still miss these wheels, but the polished look was far too baller for my taste.

Some time in here my buddy notched my frame and I went even lower (and burnt the **** outta my front fenders) with the AMG's, started stressing out my girlfriend and my subframe. :laugh:

ACCIDENT #2

Yup, got rear ended by an Escalade goin' a good 90mph on the interstate, but somehow she wasn't to blame and we both had to pay...**** insurance companies. In order for the shop to do the work, I had to remove the amps and sub from the trunk...so long story short, they never went back in!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
STARTING TO GET REAL

This video pretty much sums up this stage of the car. What you may not notice is that I Plasti-Dipped the entire front end of the car flat black for the winter....well, we didn't really have a winter so it was kinda useless, so it got pulled after a few months.

This is the jumping off point for the engine mods and bay stuff. After I got into it, I really started learning the car and realized the potential to clean stuff up. Not only does this kind of stuff clean up the look, it also makes the car muuuch easier to work on and diagnosing problems that much easier...which I know we all have. ;)

AGAIN WITH THE WHEEL SWAPPING

Like I said earlier, the AMG's were too baller for me and an opportunity came up to get a nearly new set of LM Reps so I jumped on it. Straight trade with tires and I got to keep my adapters so I was stoked. When I test mounted them, I was disappointed with the tire sizes and the adapters, they needed more wide and more stretch, so that's what I did. I also had plans of respraying them gold....let me just say that painting fake LM's is a hell of a job! :laugh: You'll see the bolts that I pulled below...yeah....at least they're metal, just super glued them back in after I sprayed them flat black. I used Duplicolor Gold wheel paint....this **** is awesome, not only was the color spot on, the stuff goes on WAY easy.

In the midst of the wheel refinishing, I got in on the first IDF camber plate group buy and tossed them on. I have to say, the added camber and wheel shift the plates gave me are one of my favorite mods to date....which meant I could get lower...sooooo...I lowered it again...and drove it this low all the way from Kansas City to SOWO in Georgia....on blown struts WITHOUT getting an alignment after the plate install :laugh: But after a few years of driving low, I'm yet to break anything! :):thumbup:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
SWEET CAR PICS BRAHHHHH

As some of you may or may not know, I'm a photographer/videographer so all the shots you see in this thread, all the videos are all shot by myself. So here's where the car sat right before it went up on jack stands. It's at a great point, but it just needs to really be set straight and finished.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
BODY WORKZ!!!

I grew some balls and decided to start doing what I want to with my car. I borrowed a brass hammer and a dolly from my buddy and went to town on it one afternoon. I had never done any kind of body work before, so I was really just wingin' it, but as I started to see the results I figured out how to work the metal with the tools I had. Patience is key, here and you can't give up, once you start you have to follow through and that's what I keep telling myself. I even got my daughter in the mix, slavin' away sanding my car. :laugh:

DELETING MORE STUFF

I went out to detail my engine bay before a local show and decided that I hate the windshield washer rez and wanted it gone, so I made it happen quickly. I had also been rubbing that silly gas tank evap filter thing, so it also got ripped out. Took my hood off and drove to a show :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
MAINTENANCE TIME

The trip to SOWO was badass, but really took a toll on my car...well that and the 65k miles before I left. I decided that, since it's my daily and my daughter rides in it, that I should start replacing pretty much everything. I did everything on the suspension that could be done besides buying new LCA's and a new rear beam. I also got a few new goodies, like a New South gasket and some other crap i can't recall at the moment. Again, I did the work myself with a bit of help from my boy Geoff.

NOW IT'S REAL SERIOUS

So after the refresh, I drove the car a good 10k miles and then had the problem I figured I would have after a while; axles. Not only are my axles totally toasted, my rear tires are also shot, my fuel pump is again on it's last leg and I found some rot in my wire harness behind the battery. And on top of all of this crap I'm super broke from living alone for 6 months. So, the Jetta deemed undriveable and my pocket book empty, up on jack stands it goes. While I save for Raxles and a buttload of other parts, I decided to FINALLY get into this car and REALLY do what I've always wanted to do, shave the bay, tuck everything AND tub the god damn front inner wheel wells so I don't rub anymore. I'm also shaving the rear deck lid, the roof antenna and redoing the hood with all kinds of fun stuff.

So far, the wire tuck has been stressful, definitely NOT for the weak of heart, mind, body and soul or the stupid. All of the work from here on out is gonna be on my free time, sometimes, an hour or two at a time, but I'll always be posting updates, so don't lose faith in me, this car WILL be done. :D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i hope vortex resizes pics......:laugh: if not, i'll have to batch and re-upload...:(

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
love this man your photos are always amazing. Loved it on the amg's. THe hood vets are sick. WHy the tubbing? air soon or more low static?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Nice boser :thumbup:

That sucks though. Just had an accident like yours but not quite so brutal.
Your car is so amazing, dude.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Digging the work being put in. This forum can use a lot more of this. Gonna keep my eye on the progress.
Thanks dude, i can't agree more! :thumbup:

good stuff man, i love your vids and the fact that you use an actual camera to photograph your build :thumbup:
Thanks man, I'm trying to use a good camera to capture everything but it's pretty tough because it's only me working on it. :beer:

love this man your photos are always amazing. Loved it on the amg's. THe hood vets are sick. WHy the tubbing? air soon or more low static?
Means a lot dude, thanks :) I'm tubbing so I don't rub anymore and the ability to go real low in the future if i want to.

Always loved seeing your car. I will be keeping my eye on this thread. :beer:
:thumbup::thumbup::beer::beer::):)

Nice boser :thumbup:

That sucks though. Just had an accident like yours but not quite so brutal.
Your car is so amazing, dude.
:laugh: LAME!! totally sucked, but the outcome was in my favor thankfully.

oh helllllllllll yessss. can't wait to see it done dude! :beer::beer:
:wave: there cutie! Me either, stay tuned :)

picture of the engine bay finished? im excited to see the outcome.
This thread will be updated as progress continues, so the last pics you see are the latest! :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
doin work good job:thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 1041 Posts