VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who don't know what the parking light is:
"Enables the use of the city light and outer parking brake light on Left or Right side. This feature consumes little energy and is crucial if your parked in a dark alley or on a dark curb. This is a feature found on many cars in Europe due to the narrow and dark streets. Helps make the car more visible at night."
When I first got my GTI I was crazy to enable this feature because VWOA had removed it off the 2006 MY cars. I heard the 2005.5 Jettas did have this feature active. After months of wondering why the code would not take on my GTI for the parking lights to work, I decided to approach this from another angle.
I remember when I had my passat I had recoded the tacho/cluster to UK spec (code #4) from the original US spec (code#2) to get rid of the anoying BEEEEEEEP the tacho chimes when you have the car on with the door open. After remembering that there were different country codes for the car spedo, I thought I would give it a shot... Hey I had nothing to loose and a nice feature to gain
I went ahead and
Clicked on 17-Instruments
Recode - 07
note your original coding.
Hover over the code with the mouse pointer, and it will show a pop-up balloon with information about the various digits of the code.
# One of the digits is for the country configuration (for the instrument cluster only, it doesn't affect any other settings in Comfort/Central Electronics/any other module). It's originally set at '2' (USA). You will change it to '4' (UK/Britain).

Then enter the code and set!!
After you do this, go back to 09-Central Electronics then hit where you can change the LONG CODE. Look for the bite that has something labled
"FRONT REAR PARKING LIGHTS ACTIVE (US/CANADA)"
Check the box for that section then transfer the code...
NOW YOUR ALL DONE! TEST the mod.
My DIY sucks cause im working from pure memory...If somethings wrong don't kill me!

Modified by quailallstar at 11:28 PM 7-23-2006

Modified by BRM10984 at 10:41 AM 7-25-2006

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (iamnotemo)

Quote, originally posted by iamnotemo »
06 Jettas have this active as well.

Sweet, cause the GTI's dont. I think on the GLI they work to.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (kawzx7)

Quote, originally posted by kawzx7 »
Dude, you're a freakin animal. Ever get those tails done?

.Thanks.. I sold the bulb holders and have a set or R32 tails on the way.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (mabye on new Rabbit as well).... (quailallstar)

Quote, originally posted by quailallstar »

Awesome, I gave up on trying to get that feature to work. Good going figuring that out and spreading the knowledge.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (ScrewyRabbit)

Quote, originally posted by ScrewyRabbit »
How can this be done on the Rabbit?

Try the same way I did and check if it works.. Im guessing it will.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the pictures... Sorry they suck, it was starting to rain and I was doing it fast.

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60, 2019 GTI 6MT
1,883 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (mabye on new Rabbit as well).... (quailallstar)

NICE! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Coding the cluster to UK, does anything else change? Spelling of MFD menus, English/Metric, etc?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (corradokidg60)

Quote, originally posted by corradokidg60 »
NICE! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Coding the cluster to UK, does anything else change? Spelling of MFD menus, English/Metric, etc?

When you first code the cluster yes the MPG turn into imperial gallons and the time to 24hr format. The miles stay in miles and not kilometers. After to recode the cluster scroll through the MFA options and change back the gallons to US gallons and time back to 12 hr format.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (quailallstar)

I am in the military so I like the 24hr clock...HAHAHAHA

Reminds me of a friends episode
Monica: Remember 1800 Hrs...
Phoebe: And what time is that?
Monica: You don't know military time?
Phoebe: I must have been in missle training the day they taught that...
Monica: (Harumph) Just subtract 12
Phoebe: 1788??
Monica: SIX O'CLOCK!!!!!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (quailallstar)

Yah it is already active on the GLI's... I just got done explaining this neat little option to my father! Never use it though, on account of the large streets in my town!
-Jeff-

·
Registered
4,243 Posts

Quote, originally posted by quailallstar »
For those of you who don't know what the parking light is:
"Enables the use of the city light and outer parking brake light on Left or Right side. This feature consumes little energy and is crucial if your parked in a dark alley or on a dark curb. This is a feature found on many cars in Europe due to the narrow and dark streets. Helps make the car more visible at night."
When I first got my GTI I was crazy to enable this feature because VWOA had removed it off the 2006 MY cars. I heard the 2005.5 Jettas did have this feature active. After months of wondering why the code would not take on my GTI for the parking lights to work, I decided to approach this from another angle.
I remember when I had my passat I had recoded the tacho/cluster to UK spec (code #4) from the original US spec (code#2) to get rid of the anoying BEEEEEEEP the tacho chimes when you have the car on with the door open. After remembering that there were different country codes for the car spedo, I thought I would give it a shot... Hey I had nothing to loose and a nice feature to gain
I went ahead and
Clicked on 17-Instruments
Recode - 07
note your original coding.
Hover over the code with the mouse pointer, and it will show a pop-up balloon with information about the various digits of the code.
# One of the digits is for the country configuration (for the instrument cluster only, it doesn't affect any other settings in Comfort/Central Electronics/any other module). It's originally set at '2' (USA). You will change it to '4' (UK/Britain).

Then enter the code and set!!
After you do this, go back to 17-Instruments then hit where you can change the LONG CODE. Look for the bite that has something labled
Check the box for that section then transfer the code...
NOW YOUR ALL DONE! TEST the mod.
My DIY sucks cause im working from pure memory...If somethings wrong don't kill me!

Modified by quailallstar at 11:28 PM 7-23-2006

Just did this with no problems, the only thing I noticed that was different was after changing the cluster info 17-instruments, I went to 9-cent. elec. and used the long coding helper, checked the box for the parking lights (US/Canada).
Works great THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts

Came statndard on my '06 Jetta. I thought the car had a lighting problem and was considering on bringing it to the dealer. Then I found out about the feature.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.