VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (mabye on new Rabbit as well).... (quailallstar)

i just checked and my 06 GLI does have this. im pretty sure its ok but id like to double check, i want to make sure that leaving it on overnight or something wont kill my battery? THANKS

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (mabye on new Rabbit as well).... (quailallstar)

Coding the instruments to UK also allows the flash to pass inner lights to stay on with the HIDs in high beam. Just set Central Electronics Byte 17 Bit 1 Deactivation of Additional High Beam with Bi-Xenon to 0. Great find qualistar!

Modified by rickerbr at 6:35 PM 7-24-2006

Modified by rickerbr at 10:49 AM 7-25-2006

·
Registered
655 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (rickerbr)

Quote, originally posted by rickerbr »
Conding the instruments to UK also allows the flash to pass inner lights to stay on with the HIDs in high beam. Just set Central Electronics Byte 17 Bit 1 Deactivation of Additional High Beam with Bi-Xenon to 0. Great find qualistar!

Love it! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Conding the instruments to UK also allows the flash to pass inner lights to stay on with the HIDs in high beam. Just set Central Electronics Byte 17 Bit 1 Deactivation of Additional High Beam with Bi-Xenon to 0. Great find qualistar!

Call me slow but I dont understand.. You mean when you have the xenons on and you flash someone they Flash to pass lights turn on as well as the bi-xenons? Hmmm cool.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (quailallstar)

Anytime you turn on the high beams (on or flash) with the low beams on, both the shutters for the HIDs open and the inner lights come on.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

Mother****ing genius. I owe you a beer or something. And now I'm blind. God that's bright.

I wonder what else coding to UK allows? Perhaps I can change the number of blinks of the auto turn signal feature?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
Mother****ing genius. I owe you a beer or something. And now I'm blind. God that's bright.

I wonder what else coding to UK allows? Perhaps I can change the number of blinks of the auto turn signal feature?

haha true!! You know I heard that there is a way to adjust the amount of bilnks for the comfort feature. I just have to dig up the post.
Guess VWOA thinks there are no dark roads in the US!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

Quote, originally posted by quailallstar »
haha true!! You know I heard that there is a way to adjust the amount of bilnks for the comfort feature. I just have to dig up the post.
Guess VWOA thinks there are no dark roads in the US!

I sat out there last night for about an hour trying to figure that out again. If you figure it out, I owe you a whole suitcase of beer.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

All right, genius, see if you can feed off this and fix our speedos now.

No adverse effects to this UK change, right? My car is not going to start speaking like KITT or try to drift left of center to join its buddies, right?
Later!

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: Sucessfully Enabled L/R Parking Light on GTI (kawzx7)

Quote, originally posted by kawzx7 »
All right, genius, see if you can feed off this and fix our speedos now.

No adverse effects to this UK change, right? My car is not going to start speaking like KITT or try to drift left of center to join its buddies, right?
Later!

Hehe... nope.

I coded a car back in January that allowed the halogen inners to come on with the highbeams. I did not mess with the country coding. Apparently it was shipped with UK country coding. <shrug>

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

I am so pumped to do this tonight with the VAS from my dealer. In fact, I may even stop by @ lunch to see if they will assist. I will miss my dealer the most when I move.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

Quote, originally posted by quailallstar »
For those of you who don't know what the parking light is:
"Enables the use of the city light and outer parking brake light on Left or Right side. This feature consumes little energy and is crucial if your parked in a dark alley or on a dark curb. This is a feature found on many cars in Europe due to the narrow and dark streets. Helps make the car more visible at night."
When I first got my GTI I was crazy to enable this feature because VWOA had removed it off the 2006 MY cars. I heard the 2005.5 Jettas did have this feature active. After months of wondering why the code would not take on my GTI for the parking lights to work, I decided to approach this from another angle.
I remember when I had my passat I had recoded the tacho/cluster to UK spec (code #4) from the original US spec (code#2) to get rid of the anoying BEEEEEEEP the tacho chimes when you have the car on with the door open. After remembering that there were different country codes for the car spedo, I thought I would give it a shot... Hey I had nothing to loose and a nice feature to gain
I went ahead and
Clicked on 17-Instruments
Recode - 07
note your original coding.
Hover over the code with the mouse pointer, and it will show a pop-up balloon with information about the various digits of the code.
# One of the digits is for the country configuration (for the instrument cluster only, it doesn't affect any other settings in Comfort/Central Electronics/any other module). It's originally set at '2' (USA). You will change it to '4' (UK/Britain).

Then enter the code and set!!
After you do this, go back to 09-Central Electronics then hit where you can change the LONG CODE. Look for the bite that has something labled
"FRONT REAR PARKING LIGHTS ACTIVE (US/CANADA)"
Check the box for that section then transfer the code...
NOW YOUR ALL DONE! TEST the mod.
My DIY sucks cause im working from pure memory...If somethings wrong don't kill me!

Added to FAQ.

Added to FAQ.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Well, it worked! HI-6 kit is done!!!! It also retains the flash-to-pass inner halogens as well. I think I have to do a few more things to get the parking lights to work(backs don't light), but I would never use them anyways.
I have never been in such a hurry for night to fall! Well, at not since July 4th anyways!

The HID's were bright as fark anyways, I can't wait to see how much more the halogens add.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Re: (wickett.)

Quote, originally posted by wickett. »
just a brief observation but, why doesn't your lights work on both sides of the car????

That's the purpose of the parking light. You only use the side you want the car to be seen. If your parked on the side of the road you want the left side of the car closest to the street to be seen.
You are probably thinking of parking lights/city lights while driving right? This is a totaly different feature.

Modified by quailallstar at 6:32 AM 7-26-2006

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Re: (Aguilar)

Quote, originally posted by Aguilar »
Oh snap!

R/L Parking light.

Sweet.... Another FL mkv!! Represent

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.