VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, just looking for a reasonable quality multimeter for basic automotive troubleshooting. Would something like Fluke 88 do the job ? I know their products were top notch, but that was over 10 years ago, so I am not sure how good they are these days.
Thanks.

Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (J-Tim)

Even a Fluke78 is good. Although I never use my 78 or 88, I now use an Powerprobe w/ LED display, and this thing has made my job so much easier

Registered

fluke is one of the best meters out there - they are expensive, and if you're jsut looking for a "basic" meter, something from radio shack will do the trick for about 1/4 the cost.

Banned
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (redsoxreturns)

Quote, originally posted by redsoxreturns
fluke is one of the best meters out there - they are expensive, and if you're jsut looking for a "basic" meter, something from radio shack will do the trick for about 1/4 the cost.

I tend to agree with this. Fluke makes great meters (I've got two myself) but they're overkill for a home mechanic/electrician. If money isn't an issue, you won't go wrong with a Fluke though. They're making some less expensive meters these days that closes the gap some, but Radio Shack meters are still about half the cost with the same functionality (or more in some cases). The biggest difference is the amount of abuse they can take and, to a degree, accuracy. Working on a car you don't really need precision beyond what the lower cost DMMs provide though.

Registered
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (justanotherusername)

a fluke 88 is probably more than you'd ever need. the power probe III shown above is a great tool as well.

Registered
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (matt_bogner)

Any meter will most likely work fine...the thing I find I use the most is the clamps and different ends I can put on my fluke leads. I'd find something that will accept things like that.

Registered

I figure any cheap multimeter will work just fine. I've had a few, but don't know how much they cost since I got them for free during various training classes.

Registered

I keep and Extech EX470 around for doing dirty stuff. I've been abusing it for a few years now and it doesn't seem to mind. It can also read duty cycle and temperature with a thermocouple type input or IR (non-contact). That can be handy for car work.
I have some Flukes for business and ya sure, they're great. They're also spendy and they actually do break occasionally. Basically, if I'm working on something and the Extech is closer, I don't go out of my way to grab a Fluke.
Ok now, I gotta tell this story because Mrs.Replicant doesn't understand the awesomeness and you guys will: Just yesterday I was in a thrift store looking through all the used junk. I see a box for a Fluke 87-III in the jewelry/camera case. I asked to see it and it was a new, never used meter with instructions still in shrink wrap and all that. The protective film was on the display. Anyway, I bought it for $12

Registered
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (Replicant)

flukes are just about the best meters. id suggest buying a used one on ebay that way you don't pay too much and you have a great meter. i use both a fluke and a bluepoint at work. both work great. as people have stated you could just get a cheap one from radio shack that i'm sure would work fine too

Registered

A Fluke is something I don't even own as an Industrial Electrician.. I own an RCC - which is a Korean brand. It's slower then a Fluke - but the accuracy is as good. So are the safety ratings for inrush current and voltage. I purchased it as part of a tool kit.
My next meter will be a Fluke - it's pretty much the standard for electricians.
For home users, they are complete overkill. They are category III/IV meters - which means they are meant for dealing with up to 600 and 750V 3-phase applications. They can handle power surges at these higher voltages. For someone working on residential (120 and 240V systems - non 3-phase) and automotive (12V DC) don't waste your money. Buy a good class II meter. Make sure it is rated for Class II - this is a safety factor. Cheap meters can literally blow up in your hands of you hook them up to a 240V circuit wrong when checking out say, your dryer... a Class II will only pop its fuse - replace it, look at your how-to guide again and off you go.
I'd suggest something in the $80-120 range new... Of course if you find a good deal online, or don't mind spending the money there are excellent meters out there. Good brands are Fluke, Ideal, Amprobe, and Greenlee, as well as RCC.

Banned
One thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet, but as an amature electrician, you're probably better off to get an auto-ranging meter. A lot of the cheaper ones aren't, and you open yourself up for a surprise if you're looking for voltage and have it set on the wrong range.

Registered

For just basic troubleshooting like you said, honestly just pick up a $30 Craftsman one from Sears. I have one, and it does the job just fine. Unless you're a professional, there's really no sense in spending so much money on a Fluke.

Registered
After my fluke 88 took a dump, I purchased an Ideal 61-342 from lowes because I was short on cash. The meter has served me well everyday for the past 8 Months and have had no reason to replace it with the more expensive flukes.

Registered
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (Replicant)

Quote, originally posted by Replicant
I keep and Extech EX470 around for doing dirty stuff. I've been abusing it for a few years now and it doesn't seem to mind. It can also read duty cycle and temperature with a thermocouple type input or IR (non-contact). That can be handy for car work.
I have some Flukes for business and ya sure, they're great. They're also spendy and they actually do break occasionally. Basically, if I'm working on something and the Extech is closer, I don't go out of my way to grab a Fluke.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
My Extech rocks. heavy duty multimeter made to take a licking. And they're the only ones that come with an IR point-shoot thermometer built-in.
I say, spend less for a quality multimeter and spend more on what you enjoy! like a 'port and polish' or cold air intake.

Registered
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (slowjedi)

Quote, originally posted by slowjedi

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
My Extech rocks. heavy duty multimeter made to take a licking. And they're the only ones that come with an IR point-shoot thermometer built-in.
I say, spend less for a quality multimeter and spend more on what you enjoy! like a 'port and polish' or cold air intake.

Totally agree!

Registered
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (slowjedi)

Quote, originally posted by slowjedi

You brought a 6 month old thread back to life to state this!?!?! I'm pretty sure the guy got his answer about 5.75 months ago.

I鈥檓 not a loser. I鈥檓 a winnah!!
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (FlyRide337)

Quote, originally posted by FlyRide337

You brought a 6 month old thread back to life to state this!?!?! I'm pretty sure the guy got his answer about 5.75 months ago.

and you bumped a thread just to point fingers?

Registered
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (patrikman)

Quote, originally posted by patrikman

and you bumped a thread just to point fingers?

Yeah. Everyone else in here is so argumentative I figured I'd give it a try.

Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
Re: Suggest me: A good automotive multimeter (FlyRide337)

Quote, originally posted by FlyRide337

Yeah. Everyone else in here is so argumentative I figured I'd give it a try.

Wait wait, so did you wake up this morning and think "man I really need a thread about multimeters," find one, then bump?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.