VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i didnt have much success with this question in the mk4 forum so i figure im gonna try my luck here..........can you please tell me some good mods to do to my 2 slow that are reasonably priced and that will give me some power.........oh ya and please dont say get a supercharger or turbo because if i had the money for those i wouldnt even be asking this question

·
Banned
6,002 Posts
Re: suggestions on what i should do to my 2 slow for power (RJetta8V)

Quote, originally posted by RJetta8V »
exhaust
chip
cam
holy airbox

what he said. you're really not going "forced induction" unless you get a s/c or turbo. but a chip/cam/cai/headers/exhaust will perk up your car ALOT!! of course if you buy all that, you might as well shell out a few hundred more and get a s/c or turbo.
best i can say is this: set your hp/ tourque goals and go from there. dont say " i want power". well-- how much more? how much you wanna spend? plan out on paper 1st and do your homework. search is your friend.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: suggestions on what i should do to my 2 slow for power (MicrobiologyNerd)

how much hp would that stuff give me?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Re: suggestions on what i should do to my 2 slow for power (veedubpwr)

save your money. maybe buy nice rims and a few otehr things to make it look decent, but power modding a 2.0 is pretty much a waste unless you want to go all the way with it (FI).
keep it a few years then trade up for a 1.8T or VR6.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MicrobiologyNerd »
...a chip/cam/cai/headers/exhaust will perk up your car ALOT!! of course if you buy all that, you might as well shell out a few hundred more and get a s/c or turbo...

True, but think of it this way; once you go FI, if you don't have chip, exhaust, intake mods then you're totally wasting the potential of the FI. Yeah, you want bigger exhaust for FI than you do for NA, different chip settings, asymmetrical cam, etc..., but within reason, some mods that are good for NA are also good for FI. Just think about what you ultimately want, so you don't have to replace your $400 2.25" exhaust with a $400 2.5" exhaust, $130 TT 268 with a $130 TT 268/260. You don't want to do the same mod twice. You get the idea.

·
Banned
6,002 Posts
Re: suggestions on what i should do to my 2 slow for power (BlueGTIguy)

Quote, originally posted by BlueGTIguy »

True, but think of it this way; once you go FI, if you don't have chip, exhaust, intake mods then you're totally wasting the potential of the FI. Yeah, you want bigger exhaust for FI than you do for NA, different chip settings, asymmetrical cam, etc..., but within reason, some mods that are good for NA are also good for FI. Just think about what you ultimately want, so you don't have to replace your $400 2.25" exhaust with a $400 2.5" exhaust, $130 TT 268 with a $130 TT 268/260. You don't want to do the same mod twice. You get the idea.

this is true. this i why i said plan out waht you want.
also-- the 268/260 is 200 bucks, not 130. nitpicking...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re: suggestions on what i should do to my 2 slow for power (veedubpwr)

Yeah very true I am planning on going fi now and I have the 2.25" exhaust which is okay...it is just more ideal to run something a little larger with that amount of power...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

You were right in you first post; just trying to put things in perspective http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .

·
Registered
784 Posts
Re: suggestions on what i should do to my 2 slow for power (gravitymachine)

Quote, originally posted by gravitymachine »
save your money. maybe buy nice rims and a few otehr things to make it look decent, but power modding a 2.0 is pretty much a waste unless you want to go all the way with it (FI).
keep it a few years then trade up for a 1.8T or VR6.

I agree. It would be more cost effective to mod your exterior/interior/audio. The cam, chip, exhaust and such is a lot of money and a lot of work for not much subjective gains.
If you do decide to spend the money and time on this stuff, find somebody that has a MkIV car with cam, exhaust, etc, take it for a drive, and if it gives you that OH MY GOD feeling, and you think it would be worth it, then dive right in and buy a cam/chip/air filter, or whatever. Otherwise, enjoy your car for what it is, and if you want a high performance car, save your money until you can get what you really want.
Personally, I did all the basic N/A mods to my 2.0 MkIII, and I was very disappointed, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Re: suggestions on what i should do to my 2 slow for power (Me109)

i already have a high performance car in the garage, but i want to spice up my driver. i've never built a four cylinder car before and i'm having a lot of fun with the NA mods i'm doing. besides, it's alot cooler when someome asks you what's done to your car and you reply "raised compression, ported head, big cam, nitrous, exhaust, chip, etc ..." than saying "oh, a turbo kit". i'm one of those muscle car guys that has more repect for people who tear down their motor to get more NA power, rather than bolting on a FI kit. but that's just me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts