VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that VW's (12v vr6) tend to emit a rotten egg type smell (sulfur) when the cat is going bad, or when running rich.
I get the "smell" almost always following a hard, spirited drive while at a stop.
These days I am getting the "smell" after first starting the car and driving for 5-10 mins or so. Fairly strong in odor....
Any ideas?
93k on the clock

·
Registered
718 Posts
Re: Sulfur smell... (Holographic77)

yep ive got that smell and i dunno how to get rid of it.....i think its because im running too rich....its really annoying

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Re: Sulfur smell... (Holographic77)

Quote, originally posted by Holographic77 »
I know that VW's (12v vr6) tend to emit a rotten egg type smell (sulfur) when the cat is going bad, or when running rich.
I get the "smell" almost always following a hard, spirited drive while at a stop.
These days I am getting the "smell" after first starting the car and driving for 5-10 mins or so. Fairly strong in odor....
Any ideas?
93k on the clock

It might be your cat, or it might just be because your still in cold start mode.. The car will run rich when it is cold to heat up your engine faster, so that might be what your smelling?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the sulfur smell for about a month now, yesterday my check engine light popped on and the car ran rough. Had the car in today and it was diagnosed as a ignition coil, as I understand there are more than one in the car? Anyway I will pay attention to see if the smell continues...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Re: (vwgretorn)

I have no CAT and do not have a sulfer smell. You are running too rich for whatever reason. I had a sulfer smell on my G60 and it turned out to be related to timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts