VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I have and 87 cabriolet, and it had the typical hard start problem start up idle rough and die, try again and again, and on the fourth or fifth try it would start, well I checked the thermo time switch and everything for ground and everything checked out fine, so I went with the suggestion to check the plugs b/c maybe they couldn't fire the rich start up mixture.
I pulled a plug and they where black, oil, probably why the bar gauge is always near five, and the freaking buzzer always goes off
, anyways, it's probably a bad value,
But could anything else be causing this?
If it is the valves should I take it to a shop or maybe just replace the head myself? I can do pretty much on a car, but I don't believe I have what it takes to start cracking an engine open!

Any how any suggestions would be greatful this isn't my daily driver or anything so it can sit up for a while, I just bought it has a brand new top and I only paid 800 bucks for it with ttl, no deal is that great.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Re: sum of all fears (JJenkin5)

Compression Test
Leakdown Test
Before undertaking major engine work, always best to evaluate/troubleshoot/isolate to the root of the problem. Failure to do so often results in much frustration, waisted effort, a thin wallet and sometimes abandoned projects.
HTH
fat biker

1 - 4 of 4 Posts