VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tore apart my sunroof because it has the common problem of the rocker arm breaking, It was broken where the cable fasions to the rocker arm. I got two new cables and installed them. But now when you manually turn the motor the one side disconnets from part number 29 in the pic.

Do I have something binded up or what only one side seems to move upward and the 29 part seperates from the rocker arm..
I need to fix this so my car can be repainted (again from the bike insoident).

pix of the whip
for those that help..

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Sunroof expert NEEDED badly!! (4NFANA_C)

It need be one could call me at 513-919-3094 so that i can get this fix by the end of tomorrow and get the car ready to paint... thanx

·
Registered
254 Posts

Are you sure those guides [part 34] are completely intact? When I took apart my sunroof it took me a while to realize that that was the problem....

·
Registered
4,564 Posts

There should be an O-ring on the back of (part 31) that holds it at the right height to disengage, and engage properly. If it's worn or missing you will get the problem you are describing. I used some of that thick, stretchy, self adhesive electrical wrap on mine about 2 years ago, with no problems since.

Modified by NoCYet at 10:05 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
289 Posts

You need the repair kit (29) for the side that's binding (probably driver's side?) I just did this too (in addition to cables for both sides and new part 31 for passenger side) I think the repair kit was $50+ at the dealer. Call Impex for a likely better price.
TT

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Sunroof expert NEEDED badly!! (Teutonic)

I do need part number 29, but Impex is so hard to navigate to any parts....
Any ideas... part number 29 on my sunroof is bent upwards, which caused the cable to snap...
Thanks for the help in advance
Cheers

·
Registered
534 Posts

you might need to put a rubber piece of tubing at the end of the rocker.... which part are you talking about exactly? 29 is 3 separate parts....and just so you know enless you has a glass roof you have part 12

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Sunroof expert NEEDED badly!! (myk640)

I'm talking about the longer piece that the spring and hook latch on to... there isn't a specific number for it..
I've put a new piece of rubber on each end of the rocker thing...
But that piece is bent upwards and causing the rocker to sit about an 1/8 inch off of the track...

·
Registered
534 Posts

thats strange.... did you try to take it back out and reinstall? I dont remember any bends in that piece. When does it disconnect, open or close?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts

Are You talking about the post it rotates on is bent up causing it to sit at a funky angle?
all the part numbers are in this post.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1355481
plug them into Impex, and the parts will come up.

·
Registered
289 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 4NFANA_C »
I'm talking about the longer piece that the spring and hook latch on to... there isn't a specific number for it..
I've put a new piece of rubber on each end of the rocker thing...
But that piece is bent upwards and causing the rocker to sit about an 1/8 inch off of the track...

Yes this is what happened to mine too. The rocker was off-camber because the pin on which it rotates had bent very slightly. Also the "tab" on the DS rocker that holds the little O-ring on the DS broke while I was messing with it. Doh!
The rocker itself is PN 357-877-385 (DS) and 357-877-386 (PS) (verify before ordering.) I changed it out but had the same problem. So I ordered the repair kit for the DS 1H0-898-019. That included the part that was bent and fixed my problem. My dealer also let me get a refund on the extra rocker I bought.http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I ordered the cable assys from Impex, part #1H0-898-014A (cables for both sides.)
All in all, I replaced both cables assemblies, the rocker on the PS, and the rocker assy on the DS. Cost <$200 or so.
Good luck.
TT http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Teutonic)

Thanks man...
I ordered the repair kit and it should be here tomorrow...
if all goes well she will be done tomorrow night...
Thanks again
Vincent

·
Registered
289 Posts
Re: (4NFANA_C)

cool. It's really not that hard, just tedious. Take your time and wash your hands often or you'll gunkup the headliner.
good luck
TT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts