VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your sunroof is open does it go ALL the way back in when it slided back or does a 1/3 stay out?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (jetta4dr)

you have to turn the knob all the way clockwise and hold it and it goes all the way back

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (jetta4dr)

I never understood the why the sunroof is like this. Is there a certain purpose why you have to hold it to open it all the way? Is it basically a comfort position?

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (JettaPunk409)

All the way back creates a suction tunnel within the car if the windows aren't open to release pressure. VW saves their ass on ****ty design if they make the default 1/3 closed and force to to make the initentional choice of opening the roof all the way. You end up with this if the rear window is weak in the first place (which I believe was this person's problem):

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (Karma)

Quote, originally posted by Karma »
All the way back creates a suction tunnel within the car if the windows aren't open to release pressure. VW saves their ass on ****ty design if they make the default 1/3 closed and force to to make the initentional choice of opening the roof all the way. You end up with this if the rear window is weak in the first place (which I believe was this person's problem):

As those who read the owner's manual will know, the first indent of the sunroof knob sets the sunroof in the comfort position. Depending on the switch design you have, putting the knob or holding the spring-loaded knob in the second position opens the sunroof to the completely open position. The comfort position is just what it name implies. The sunroof will be open to allow ventilation and light in with a lower amount of wind buffeting. Since it is in your pessimistic opinion that VW has a faulty sunroof design, why aren't more people complaining of broken windows in all the years that the MKIV model has been out?

·
Registered
18,646 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (simplyredvw)

1 incident of the above scenario is enough in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (JettaPunk409)

Quote, originally posted by JettaPunk409 »
I never understood the why the sunroof is like this. Is there a certain purpose why you have to hold it to open it all the way? Is it basically a comfort position?

I find this quite irritating as well. Both Passats I've owned had the comfort position, but didn't have the spring loaded action on the 20th sunroof. What's the point of having automatic sunroof positions if you have to sit there holding the damn knob to open the sunroof all the way?
It kind of defeats the purpose of the dial IMHO.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Re: (1.8Twentieth)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8Twentieth »
Wow i never knew it went back furthur until today

me neithaaaa

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Maybe its just me, but it doesn't even look like this car even has a sunroof?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (Toyin)

I had other Mk4 and it had sunroof as you described.
And when I opened it all the way, I had the vibration(you know) before 60mph.
New design allows me to run in highway speed without much turbulance, in new 'comfort position'. Complete open roof may introduce more turbulance inside in high speed.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (KoZmiK)

Quote, originally posted by KoZmiK »

Maybe its just me, but it doesn't even look like this car even has a sunroof?

it does have a sunroof, it's a 20th. you 337 owners would not understand
j/k

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (Black Magic VW)

Quote, originally posted by Black Magic VW »
it does have a sunroof, it's a 20th. you 337 owners would not understand
j/k

Oh!

Now I feel stupid! I didn't even notice that....should've looked at the pic closer.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Re: Sunroof question (Black Magic VW)

LOL who needs a sunroof... they leak, are noisy, and now make your back window explode! hahahahaahaa jk

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

didnt that guy have his open only the 2/3 rds? i thought i remembered that ...
because of him i never have just one window open anywhere ... another one is always cracked http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts