VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
Recovering my headliner and pillars -- everything is removed, except the sunroof visor.

Some of the DIYs I've seen say you can unclip the white clips holding the rear drain hoses and slide the visor out the back.

I tried, but the visor only would move halfway back, then it gets stuck on something (I can't see what).

Any help?

2005 GTI, side airbags

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So... if anyone else runs into this problem:

I can't drop the sunroof, because the side-airbags have a bracket that blocks one of the 6 side torx bolts. I'm not about to start messing around with the airbag brackets.

However, I was able to find that there are 2 rubber & plastic bumpers that block the slider from slipping all the way back (the same bumpers that pull the slider foward when you close the sunroof). If you put the sunroof all the way back, there is enough play that you can gently pull up on the bumpers and slip the slider past them. I did this and easily got the slider out with all 4 clips undamaged.

So, to summarize:

1) drop headliner
2) put sunroof all the way back
3) loosen the white plastic drain clips at the back of the rails
4) pull slider back until the stops catch
5) gently pry up the stops, and pull slider past the stops

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.