VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seems like my passenger door is sagging or like having a hard time opening and closing.... whats the best way i can fix this???
here's my car

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (hybrid gti 2)

sometiems those pins in the hinges get worn....not sure what to do about it ...im hoping i could figure soemthing out for my worn out one too, but thats on the back burner...try to pick up on your door and if you can see it jiggle in one of the hinges and/or hear it then thats probly it, especially if its a 2drr(then thats probly it)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (glibobbo21)

is there anyone that carries new door pins? i'd imagine so considering it's an issue i'm sure a lot of our cars will face in their old age

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (pbundy)

i picked up both new hinges from vw dealer for about $12 for both. took about 2 days to ship...

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (alterboy82)

Quote, originally posted by alterboy82 »
i picked up both new hinges from vw dealer for about $12 for both. took about 2 days to ship...

Then you have to worry about cutting the old ones off and welding the new ones on.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (alterboy82)

you just replaced the whole hinge? so this would solve the worn door pin problem? 12 for both, so 24 for 2 doors?

weld the new ones on . . . hadn't thought of that, thought maybe they just bolted . . . it's dark out, didn't take the time to look, but if you can get the whole hinge, maybe they could sell just the pins?

Modified by pbundy at 11:33 PM 2-15-2004

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (vwgti1986)

awesome!
and does anyone know, you'd basically just knock the old ones out and put the new ones in?

Modified by pbundy at 12:11 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

Quote, originally posted by pbundy »
weld the new ones on . . . hadn't thought of that, thought maybe they just bolted . . . it's dark out, didn't take the time to look, but if you can get the whole hinge, maybe they could sell just the pins?

Having had doors on/off of my car numerous times over the years, I've had the chance to see that they are welded into place. Many domestic cars & trucks are bolted on. I don't know about the Japanese vehicles.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

Quote, originally posted by pbundy »
and does anyone know, you'd basically just knock the old ones out and put the new ones in?

No idea. It's cold and dark out... I really don't feel like going out to see.

·
Registered
854 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwgti1986 »

I don't know about the Japanese vehicles.

what? Japanese?
unbolt your doors and knock the pins out install reverse of removal.
most of the time you need just the bushing end of it, but you end up ruining the pin on hammering it out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (bahn burner)

door pin or door stiker? the door strker threads on the frame fo the car and gives the latch something to hold on to. i just replaced mine for 6 bucks each

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (bahn burner)

i was goign to try to beat the pins out with hammer and just replace it with some stock but now that i know you can get it fro mthe dealer i think ill do that
it appears that you can get it out with the right size punch btw i think its only pressure fitted in

·
Registered
877 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwgti1986 »

Then you have to worry about cutting the old ones off and welding the new ones on.

NO NO NO. No cutting or welding involved. Pins and the "wear out" half of the hinge are available here:
http://www.concept1.ca/H20 Resto.htm
Pins can be punched out, or pressed out.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (glibobbo21)

Quote, originally posted by glibobbo21 »
btw i think its only pressure fitted in

what would this mean then?

·
Registered
877 Posts

It means the pin is pressed into the hole. It is tight enough to stay in place without any fasteners.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: sup, what do you do about sagging doors.. (docspeed1)

so just punch the old ones out and then put the new ones in?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts