VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever removed the turbo from a Evo and replaced it with a Twin screw? Im sure it can handle a decent sized blower capeable of over 20psi. Even if it only pushed 300 wheel that would make a great set up for auto-x. Anyone seen it done? Pic for Clicks.

· Goes in two directions
2016 BMW F31 328iT / 2018 Subaru Outback
5,585 Posts
Re: Supercharged Evolution VIII......... (SargeinAZ)

Why would you remove a turbo and replace it with a supercharger in order to autocross? Do superchargers weigh less than turbochargers?

For 300 at the wheels, considering the Evo already makes 286 at the crank, not much more than a simple I/H/E and proper tune would help that out more than going through the trouble and expenses of supercharging the 4G63.
I almost asked why you posted about the Evo and then have a picture of a Dodge Viper, but I caught the AutoX connection before I opened my mouth. lol

-SAV

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Supercharged Evolution VIII......... (SAVdub)

Quote, originally posted by SAVdub »
Why would you remove a turbo and replace it with a supercharger in order to autocross? Do superchargers weigh less than turbochargers?

Becuase with a turbo, if you drop below the turbos spooling RPM, your screeeeeewd.

· Registered
4,722 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SargeinAZ »

Becuase with a turbo, if you drop below the turbos spooling RPM, your screeeeeewd.

-if you've driven a turbocharged car (unless u got a huge t3/t4 or gt30+) you will know its not hard to keep the car in boost. be in the right gear at the right time. and people who autocross usually don't put such huge turbo's on the cars that spool up later.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Demo24)

Quote, originally posted by Demo24 »
I've seen an STI with a supercharger, but never an evo

Was it supercharged AND turbocharged? If so it was Forced Air Technologies STI (local). At one point it was supercharged and twin turbo. Neat car http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Premium Member
12,713 Posts
Re: (SargeinAZ)

Quote, originally posted by SargeinAZ »

Was it supercharged AND turbocharged? If so it was Forced Air Technologies STI (local). At one point it was supercharged and twin turbo. Neat car http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Is this it?

· Premium Member
15,228 Posts
Re: (B3passatBMX)

Quote, originally posted by B3passatBMX »

Is this it?

Thats neat and all, but besides being able to say you did it, why bother?

· Registered
20,436 Posts

I had a bunch typed out, but let me break it down: talk to Toaster29. Of the EVO owners on this site, I think he's done the most tinkering on his car.

· Premium Member
12,713 Posts
Re: (Mr King)

Quote, originally posted by Mr King »

Donno man. My guess though, that turbo looks to be rather large and would be extremely beneficial in the top end where the supercharger would give an immediate kick off the line. Seems like a lot of work though unless its a dedicated track car or something.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (Mr King)

Quote, originally posted by Mr King »

1. Hes the owner of a company here in AZ and wanted to show his skills. 2. Its making
amounts of power 3. You get low end + top end power and there is no power drop due to elevation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.