VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm finally going to post a build thread of sorts. I have had my b5 for 4 years. I got it before my twin daughters where born cause it was a safe awd car. I wanted out of the vw Scence so I bought and a4.100% stock I bought it for 4200$ with 86k.
Found a guy with a built block (was a machine shop in blairstown nj an s4 guy had a 2.8 block with 2.8 heads, crank and pistons where done didnt need heads they where stock) soon after I bought car. So I peeled $$ I bought the block and started buying the supporting stuff coil overs bought every bold on you can get for a 2.8. ( pulleys cold air, exhuast, nuespeed chip)
I got a little derailed cause the car got hit by a hit and run driver. As I pulled in my ally behind my house. Damage wasn't bad but it still was enough.
So I drove hoopty for a little.
Than I got some black panels and here is 2010 at cult classic

No clue what I was thinking, I look at it now and it was cool but not at all
And I kept it moving tons of wheels lip kits body kit was a cheap fix for getting blasted by hit and run.
First wheels I bought for the car where 18x9.5 tsw vx-1s

I was content car was running well wheels where big chrome and ugly.
This is 2010 as well on b6 wheels
So now we get to the good stuff.
So I wanted more power and I had a good place to start. Car handled like it was on rails. Was reasonable quick for a 2.8.
But I wanted more power and had been reading about g2 supercharger from pes tuning.
I bought that ****er brand new for $3727.36

And I installed took 6 hours

So I drove car for a few months and started to here clicking from the trans.
Than on march 16th 2012 I separated 2 gear from the final drive in glorious fashion. Sounded like an anti tank cannon went off.
Felt like all 4 wheels left the ground.
So I towed it home.

This is how it sat for 3 month.
During the 3 months I decided to do a Rwd conversion. So I bought a trans with 80k for 200$.

And I pulled the Torsen off for welding.

Yesterday 7/8/12 I started work. Spent day pulling cat back. Driveshaft, axles and getting ready to pull trans.
Car already has a lw flywheel so I'm doing a unsprung 6 puck ceramic clutch and new release bearing while I'm in there and doing the control arm kit while it's down as well.
Will update often with progress and other info. Some picture whoring
Somewhere around 2011 I started racing my a4 and my mk3 aba so there are videos too.
Old and new pictures

Video
[video]
[/video]
Untitled from james apgar on Vimeo.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tomorrow is my day off so i hope to have the trans out of the car that i destroyed. and it will give me a chance to inspect flywheel and pp.
was going to bend up a wrench to get around the subframe to remove bolts on bottom of trans case but i might just lower the subframe a little bit and make life easy. ill still need to bend the wrench though:thumbdown:
picking up some nuespeed swaybars and stock rear bumper and a hood this week all my ly7a paint code.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:wave:

I still wanna test fit those front lips some time!
Reiger got mangled from retread off a tractor trailor. Along with bumper and passanger for light.
I have eBay Reiger rep still. Car is to low for lip right now.
If your home for summer still I'll gladly swing up to Bethlehem.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Got the bad trans out of car yesterday. When I spin the driveshaft flange is sounds like a pepper mill:facepalm: pulled diff plug and a ton of metal was on the magnet. I know some is expected but this looked like science experiment. I'll break trans down on a rainy day, when It went I swear it felt like I removed 2nd gear from the final drive. Now with out opening trans just hearing it I know I sheared something off final drive :thumbdown: 4000rpm launches :banghead:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So car is back together it's Rwd. The swap was easy and straight forward. During installation I knocked one of the heater core pipes loose started getting soaked in colorant. Couldn't tell what it was or where it was coming from. Had to pull the blower to locate the leak. Stupid cross over metal coolant tube.
Other than that it's cool. NEED MORE TIRE. 205/40/17s have no grip at all. Put my foot down in first gear and she spins like a beast. Depending how I get on the power in second same thing. And that's driving straight.
It's also time to replace the diff carrier bushings. But hey for 300$ I might just but the o34 aluminum cross member bushing set up

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Is something wrong with your passenger side rear fender flare? In the pics it looks awkward and out of shape. Do you plan on getting a new rear bumper?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Is something wrong with your passenger side rear fender flare? In the pics it looks awkward and out of shape. Do you plan on getting a new rear bumper?
Actually I'm supposes to pick up new hood and rear bumper tonight off a kid on Craigslist.

End of last summer that happened.
Onto the rear fender flare.those big old tsw 18s. When I bought those wheels I met a kid In a parking lot paid 150$ and my stock wheels. Guy left before I had car on the ground. When I put car on ground I was on the rear fender. I was stuck in hamburg Pa about an hour from where I live with my car on its ass.
So I used the jack handle to roll fender. And drove home scuffing tire even on straight always. Not the nicest job and it's not really out of shape. Haven't had time to go at it with hammer and dolly. But I will add it to list of things to do

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm at 107 miles on Rwd swap feels good. I'm getting adjusted to the hp coming on totally different.
Car deff feels quicker in Rwd form ( less drivetrains loss) boost feels like it kicks harder.

Surprising people in when I stomp on it in 2nd and the car cocks sideways:laugh:
Today I'm going to add a little height to the front and rear. Might swap out rear springs for something stiffer. But today is r&d for suspension tuning for Rwd set up.

Also ordering new diff bushings from o34.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New rear bumper and hood is on car. Been a long time since I saw the body in OEm form. It's nice:thumbup:.
And I got a hammer and dolly set from body shop at work. "hey I sell cars, but can I borrow a hammer and dolly set?" body shop manager says He can fix what ever I'm about to **** up with hammer and dolly.
I smile :laugh:
Always fun to learn.
Any way traded my 17x7.5 Asa's for 18x8 msw wheels 20mm spacers and lugs. ****ing monster truck tires on them 235/40/18 I'm picking up some 215's today or tomorrow for the front

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
What's left of the front Outter cv joint. This is what keeps load on front wheel bearing so it doesn't literally fall the **** out when your driving
Why leave the guts in it? :confused:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why leave the guts in it? :confused:
i didnt drive it like this:screwy:
There actually pressed out now. i was just giving example of whats left. i didnt take any pics after i pressed them out though:thumbdown: You can leave them in and weld them.
But It would be worse thing ever to have 6 ball bearings bouncing around at speed. that would be new deff of granade

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
FV-QR

Exactly what I was thinking :D I'd just take everything out rather than welding the bits in - reduce unsprung weight by a few ounces ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts