VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Finally had a few minutes to check stuff out on the car change some things.
Got the 215s on up front 235s in the rear. The rear is nice and sticky but still break loose under wot. 1st and 2nd. Not as bad as the 205/40/17s. That was like driving in the snow.
SLIDEWAYZ It's so much ****ing fun. And It's nice to drive fast again and not rub.

Switched plugs to the colder heat range, car loves it! Thought it was just heat soak I was experiencing,
But I switched plugs and car peaks at 8psi boost feels smoother.

I did order Stern density line diff carrier bushings yesterday from ApTuning. Went with stern instead of 034s product due to the fact I run a stern snub mount and trans mounts.
Get rid of the clunk I keep getting on smokey launches.
Still gotta do control arm kit had set out to do that on Sunday and wound up changing suspension and doing plugs.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Updates
Car is still running well.
CCT went bad last week that's got me held up waiting on parts and tool.
:banghead:
Others than that

Did stern poly carrier bushings, and a stern power ring. It still clinks and for 100$ it was worth a shot compared to the 250$ for apikol mount. But I still need it.
From dubs on the Delaware

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Waiting for tools suck. Stupid 3660 cam tensioner tool. Been looking at new wheels. I bought some Mkv steelies 15x7 to mount race rubber on :popcorn:. Hoping to get car done for 10/14 race in warminster pa. I'm curious to see car on 15s with 205/50/15s. The steelies with tires mounted are 2in smaller than my 17s currently and 1 1/2 smaller than OEm 16s.
Would like to test fit them this weekend. I fitted wheels before I mounted tires to make sure they clear brakes and I'm good offset is okay
But I have been looking at super leggera's. 17x8 maybe 17x10 in the rear. With I could find an old set of ur Quattro Ronals.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks man. Been through hell and back with this thing.
I'm fighting with my rear diff right now, I'm not sure how long it's going to hold up.
330hp and stock rear diff, not a match made if heaven. So I'm looking at rear diff options.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
01e trans is just the 6 speed. All b5s that are quattro run the same rear diff. kinda sucks, i was thinking of using an s4 rear diff till i found out they where the same.:thumbdown:
The early 86-89 porsche 944 diffs supossedly fit in b5 diff case with some dremmel work. So im looking into finding a second and third diff to mess with.
i might just hit the u pull it yard this weekend and grab one to take apart and see whats what.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The S4 and Tiptronic A4 rear diffs are different than the manual A4 rear diff. Not sure if they are stronger but the final drive ratio is 4.11.

·
Registered
867 Posts
01e trans is just the 6 speed. All b5s that are quattro run the same rear diff. kinda sucks, i was thinking of using an s4 rear diff till i found out they where the same.:thumbdown:
The early 86-89 porsche 944 diffs supossedly fit in b5 diff case with some dremmel work. So im looking into finding a second and third diff to mess with.
i might just hit the u pull it yard this weekend and grab one to take apart and see whats what.
i knew the tip was the same as the s4 and required for the swap but for some reason i just assumed it was stronger. never heard of the 944 dif though. interesting

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The S4 and Tiptronic A4 rear diffs are different than the manual A4 rear diff. Not sure if they are stronger but the final drive ratio is 4.11.
Makes Sense I have only checked manual trans cars rear diffs. Maybe I will find a tip car and see if the gearing helps and if the tip car has more meat.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.