VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote, originally posted by Autoblog »
Nissan GT-Rs first hit the track in 1969, and won their inauguaral race.
23 years later the R32 GT-R race car won its first Japanese GT Championship race at the first attempt, and yesterday at Suzuka, the Xanavi NISMO R35 driven by Benoit Trulyer and Satoshi Motoyama continued the tradition by taking round one of the 2008 Super GT Championship.
Trulyer, who was also one of the drivers who took the R34 GT-R to victory in its last appearence in Japanese GT in 2003, reckoned that his new car is more stable than its predessor, the Super GT Z, and thus much easier to drive on the limit, but has lost a little in terms of top speed, which may hurt the GT-R's chances when it visits the world's longest straight at Fuji Speedway in May and November.
Unless the GT association take exception to the GT-R's dominance this race and impose extraordinary penalties on the car, which has precious little in common with its road going counterpart, expect a similar performance at Round 2 in Okayama on April 13th.

Is history going to repeat itself? I say I think so.....

· Registered
14,315 Posts
Re: SuperGT: Nissan GT-R takes First and Second in Round 1 at Suzuka (InfinitiG)

But the current GT-R race car has virtually nothing to do with the street car. Do they even share an engine block?

· Registered
12,949 Posts
Re: SuperGT: Nissan GT-R takes First and Second in Round 1 at Suzuka (gtivr4)

Quote, originally posted by gtivr4 »
But the current GT-R race car has virtually nothing to do with the street car.

I beg to differ......how about winning?

Not the same though, 4.5 liter V8 and rwd

· Registered
42,970 Posts

But the current GT-R race car has virtually nothing to do with the street car. Do they even share an engine block?

The VR-series street engine is based on the past ~8 years of SuperGT engine development. After the R34 GT-R and RB-series engine went out of production, Nissan started tinkering with VQ-based engines in SuperGT, installed in both R34 and Z33 (350Z) bodies. The production VR38DETT is the result of that development. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Oddly enough, yes, they are using a VK45-based engine for the current SuperGT car. But these guys were running a VQ/VR:

Modified by AKADriver at 1:29 PM 3-17-2008

· Registered
6,106 Posts

Not nothing. But it is RWD & 4.5 V8

· Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
18,972 Posts

The same is true of DTM cars. What's your point?

· Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: SuperGT: Nissan GT-R takes First and Second in Round 1 at Suzuka (MEIN_VW)

Quote, originally posted by MEIN_VW »

and Nascar, and a lot of other racing series.....they're all based off the production cars though.

· Registered
2,903 Posts
Re: SuperGT: Nissan GT-R takes First and Second in Round 1 at Suzuka (InfinitiG)

surprised @ the victorious 1st & 2nd finish???
Nope, not here.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Nissan is on the ball

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,242 Posts

Point being, racing series like the Speed World Challenge and Koni Cup are a lot more interesting because the cars are production based. I mean I saw a Porsche Cup car being assembled at the Porsche factory when I visited. That's just cool as hell (to me anyway). So if I visit the Nissan GTR factory, will I see race cars like the one in the OP produced there?

· Registered
18,972 Posts

Quote, originally posted by InfinitiG »

and Nascar, and a lot of other racing series.....they're all based off the production cars though.

NASCAR cars have nothing at all in common with production cars.

· Registered
18,972 Posts
Re: SuperGT: Nissan GT-R takes First and Second in Round 1 at Suzuka (6cylVWguy)

Quote, originally posted by 6cylVWguy »

Point being, racing series like the Speed World Challenge and Koni Cup are a lot more interesting because the cars are production based. I mean I saw a Porsche Cup car being assembled at the Porsche factory when I visited. That's just cool as hell (to me anyway). So if I visit the Nissan GTR factory, will I see race cars like the one in the OP produced there?

I know what you're saying. The DTM used to be far more production-based than it is now. If factory teams wanted to run new aerodynamic packages, they had to produce 500 produciton cars with the same package. This is why you got homologation specials like the 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II and E30 M3 Sport Evolution.

· Registered
14,315 Posts

Absolutely. I guess my point is that all of the GT-R fanbois (and haters) tend to assume that because it's successful in racing, it reflects directly on how it will do on the street.
Heck, people assume that because a Subaru Impreza beats a Mitsubishi Lancer in a rally, that the Lancer is automatically inferior in street form (or vice-versa). It's crazy how much stock people put in race results to justify their purchases, but then again that's why manufacturers enter into racing!

· Registered
2,545 Posts
The funny thing is that they have to use the V8 engines because the stock engine creates too much horsepower. How tough is the competition though? There aren't many Japanese sports cars still in production. I'd think the competition would be a bunch of much older cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.