VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately my coupe's 8V with 210,000 on it has developed a surging problem. for those of you that have riden in 20V Turbo's with a n75 "surging problem" you know what this feels like.
Basically under harder acceleration, i feel the car like it isnt getting air or gas, then it does and you feel "boost like" effects, then it feels like it isnt getting air/fuel, then boost.
I just did a tune up to eleviate that as a remedy. I think it is MAF, or throttle body related, as I dont think it is getting enough air, is reading wrong or something to that effect.
The car lunges and pulls you into the seat, then lets you off. its almost like soemone is feathering the gas.
Any Ideas?
My next step is MAF looking into.
But I think it is either, not getting enough air, not getting enough fuel, possible FPR issus?
Anyone?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Surging on 8V, much like a 20v Turbo with N75 issues? Ideas, advice? (ItsDchz)

look at your rubber boot on the intake, may have a hole in it, just an idea, but if they get a hole they can cause surging and bucking etc.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Surging on 8V, much like a 20v Turbo with N75 issues? Ideas, advice? (The_Hamster)

Awesome! I will look there as well, Thank you!
Any other ideas, anyone?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Re: Surging on 8V, much like a 20v Turbo with N75 issues? Ideas, advice? (ItsDchz)

I kinda have the same problem. When it's warm, it sometimes seems like there is no gas getting to the engine. I have to put the pedal to the floor, and after a few seconds, it wil be back to normal. Of course, since I had the pedal to the floor, there is quite a surge of power when it comes back to normal...
I started by replacing the spark plug wires and distributor cap, then the temp sensor, and then the o2 sensor... 300$ CDN later, the problem is still there. Since everything was fine for the 2-3 weeks I rolled with my o2 sensor disconnected, my guess is that the wiring between the o2 and ECU is bad. That means my next step will be replacing the wiring harness

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Surging on 8V, much like a 20v Turbo with N75 issues? Ideas, advice? (Bakounine)

Well I kinda think it is a throttle/ air-fuel problem, I am going to check the intake boot tonight.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
215 Posts
A2 GLs commonly have idling problems. As long as it doesn't stall don't worry about it. Mine surged between 900 rpms and 1,500 rpms. Its normal. Don't fix it cause to get them idling perfect it costs a fortune. (you shoulda gotten a GLI. Mine idles perfect)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (2.0L16vGLI)

It is not an idling problem it is when I am on the throttle, usually between about 1500-4000K, mostly 2nd gear on, I do not notice it that much in 1st.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: (ItsDchz)

Please post what you try and the results, as I am having that same problem. What engine do you have. For me it started in 5th only, while going up hills, then slowly moved to the other gears too. I've been told to look for vacume leaks.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (A2_CARAT)

I am going to check vacuum leaks, any hoses that may be cracked, especially in the intake, and then look at the throttle body.
I will let you know.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

CMON 8V guru's, gimmie some more places to look.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Surging on 8V, much like a 20v Turbo with N75 issues? Ideas, advice? (The_Hamster)

have you checked or found anything yet????

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Surging on 8V, much like a 20v Turbo with N75 issues? Ideas, advice? (A2_CARAT)

all my tubes seem to be fine, the vacuum lines are good, I am going to have a friend to a vacuum check this weekend on the whole system. I am thinking about changing the secondary fuel filter, and FPR as well, just to be safe.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

did you try the intank pump? a responce to suggestions along with "bump" would be helpful, otherwise i can start mentioning ever part i know of htat could in anyway possibly make that lurch jump or surge.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I am going down the list as people suggest it, please let me know what the intake pump is and where it is located.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts