VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade the horrific suspension on my '04 Jetta TDi. Before I jump whole hog into a Shine or similar, I'm looking for input from 1.8T and/or Wolfsburg owners.
Does your car have the OEM Sport suspension?
What are the color codes on the front/rear springs (2white/2blue, or whatever) ?
Do you have a sway bar ? Front ? Rear ? Diameters ?
What is the measurement from the ground to the highest point in the wheel well, thru the center cap of the wheel ?
TIA

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
Re: Suspension - 1.8T and/or Wolfsburg (WI-TDI-Fan)

I have the OEM Sport Suspension. And from my opinion you are better spending the $ one say an H&R/Bilstein or Eibach Kit. There is much to be improved over the stock kit. I am guessing the NON OEM Sport Suspenion is even worse. But this also depends on yours driving habits. I like to drive hard so I need something better. There is still plenty of roll and flex in the car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Suspension - 1.8T and/or Wolfsburg (VWGolfA4)

Granted, the is much left to be desired on the non-Sport OEM suspension ! I did manage a test drive of a 1.8T and there was a noticeable difference in the ride/handling characteristics. I'm considering aftermarket, but want to play out the options with OEM stuff - something someone else has upgraded from, may just be the ticket for me. The other goal I have is NOT to lower the car and OEM stuff will most likey afford that option. Few of the aftermarket setups will.
The quest will continue.
Anyone . . . .
Buehler . . . .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Part of the difference may have been due to sidewall height, and flex.
I drive an '03 Wolfsburg, and trust me, there is much to be desired. Granted, it is much more taught than the non-sport suspension, but there's nothing I'd like more for my car, than an H & R or FK cupkit. Obviously, these 'wants' are on the reasonable end of things.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oo, forgot to add, I'd take the measurements you requested, but it's raining cats and dogs, and we're in a Tornado warning right now, too.
Might you be better off requesting a measurement from center of wheel, to highest point on the (outside) of the wheel well? Thus avoiding any confusion due to varying wheel and tire sizes...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts