VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Im a proud new owner of an 03' MV (and VW in general). After spending many years searching, I finally scratched the itch, and made this a reality.
I've searched this forum prior to owning a vehicle, and there is an amazing amount of advice here.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not mechanically inclined, and would appreciate any assistance in steering me to a somewhere to purchase parts or service in Canada (Ontario).

As the Subject Line says - I'm on the hunt for a smoother ride. I've seen GoWesty's Bilstein XHD line, and although I'm very interested in the purchase - our Third World Exchange rate at the moment would make lose sleep when she gets delivered to the front door.

Any suggestions for alternative brands, or something that is available here in Canada?

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you want a cushier ride, go with the OE replacement shocks, I installed the Bilstein HD's and the ride is firmer, more planted feeling, but less bouncy. Personally I prefer the more planted ride. Keep in mind the difference between the two will not be much. It will still be bouncy regardless of what you choose, just less bouncy with the Bilsteins.

The best thing you can do for the ride is to have good shocks and increase your front suspension travel by leveling out the front. This is done by by cranking up the torsion bars. Having good tires at the minimum recommended pressure helps the ride too. Amazon.com has decent prices on shocks too, just cross reference part #'s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want a cushier ride, go with the OE replacement shocks, I installed the Bilstein HD's and the ride is firmer, more planted feeling, but less bouncy. Personally I prefer the more planted ride. Keep in mind the difference between the two will not be much. It will still be bouncy regardless of what you choose, just less bouncy with the Bilsteins.

The best thing you can do for the ride is to have good shocks and increase your front suspension travel by leveling out the front. This is done by by cranking up the torsion bars. Having good tires at the minimum recommended pressure helps the ride too. Amazon.com has decent prices on shocks too, just cross reference part #'s.

Thanks for the info.

Just picked up a new set of rubber, stock 225/60/16 - 102's. For shocks, I'm looking at a set of Billies HD's for the front on Ebay.

There's a lot of chatter about lifting the van with spacers. Would this provide a less stiff ride? Such as these?

https://shop.cavevan.com/collections/eurovan/products/eurovan-lift-spacers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts