VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the following today ... 8 front control arms.. 2 rear... 2 front drop links.. 2 front tie rod end assemblies .. 2 sets of rear stabilisers....
should make the running a bit smoother... 132k miles up on her and never been done so i said i'd do the lot together as i'm at it... will do a report on the - before and after - once fitted

·
Registered
747 Posts
This looks like an interesting project. I'm thinking about to do the same with my car. When driving over speed bumps, a grating sound is audible. After a few km, the sound is over.
Also, both upper rear control arms of the front suspension are damaged. I have no idea how that could happen.
The biggest challenge seems to be the removal of the struts. I would love to see some photo's of the process.

Willem

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
This looks like an interesting project. I'm thinking about to do the same with my car. When driving over speed bumps, a grating sound is audible. After a few km, the sound is over.
Also, both upper rear control arms of the front suspension are damaged. I have no idea how that could happen.
The biggest challenge seems to be the removal of the struts. I would love to see some photo's of the process.

Willem
There's also visible damage on one of my upper control arms, it looks as if the rubber has fully compressed causing metal-on-metal impact.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am getting ready to do that too. Got all 10 pieces ($ 502.--) 4 lower, 4 upper and the 2 sway-bar links.
I had actually ask my tire place to do the work since I work about 65 hrs a week. However right at the beginning of the work I got a call and they advised me that they run into the first (what they thought ) problem, and that is that on our cars ( as well the Audi's ) the lower front a arm mounting bolt can only be removed when you cut the head of and push it out the other way. ( Way to do it, is to buy a new bolt and nut (watch the grade) and put it in the other way. Besides that they were worried about the air suspension lines.
Therefore I will do it myself.

Gernot

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am getting ready to do that too. Got all 10 pieces ($ 502.--) 4 lower, 4 upper and the 2 sway-bar links........

Gernot
Gernot & Edmund:

I have no experience with this task but i think you are doing it the best way by replacing virtually all frontend components. As these heavy cars age in years and mileage replacing the frontend parts one by one as they truly fail seems like the more expensive option for those planning to keep their cars. If you do piecemeal replacement of worn components, duplicate labor costs and alignment costs could adversely impact the pocketbook. For me, just "get er done" and enjoy.

Gernot, where did you purchase your frontend parts? $502 is a great deal as long as you are sure the parts are of good quality. i assume at that price you are not getting VW original equipment components. Your part count also suggests that you are getting complete arms and not just bushings to press into your old arms. Best of luck on your DIY install and please share some of your experience once the task is done.

Jim X

·
Registered
747 Posts
There's also visible damage on one of my upper control arms, it looks as if the rubber has fully compressed causing metal-on-metal impact.
The damage on my control arms is visible in the below photo:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BiAUf-dv5Hg/TyRi6K78-6I/AAAAAAAAAQA/kOiIC_7GM1c/s400/2011-12-23%2520UpperrearcontrolArm.jpg

The other side looks identical. I have no idea what may have caused it. :confused:

Willem

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am HUGELY interested in this thread. I've got a case of the "creaks" in the front and plan on keeping my car until it's outlawed (a la Neil Peart/Red Barchetta).

I anxiously await updates on your progress and final result. Best of luck!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Looks like the suspension bottomed out at some point, possibly further than designed. Also my car creaks when it's cold out but once it warms up the creaks seems to go away.
That's what I thought too, originally. Might be caused by all those stupid speed bumps. Could it be that the rubber inside the control arm was displaced somehow?

When they wouldn't have been damaged, new rubbers would have been a much cheaper solution. The rubbers can be purchased as separate item and the procedure to replace them is in the Bentley repair manual. Is there anyone who has some experience with this replacement procedure? Can it be done without the specially designed tool?
Willem

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Ordered the following today ... 8 front control arms.. 2 rear... 2 front drop links.. 2 front tie rod end assemblies .. 2 sets of rear stabilisers....
should make the running a bit smoother... 132k miles up on her and never been done so i said i'd do the lot together as i'm at it... will do a report on the - before and after - once fitted
Ed,

you've sort of got me hooked on doing this:mad: Please post details of before and after plus cost if thats okay?

Thanks
Stu

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
stu,
have done this on many cars down through the years, both classic and modern.. makes a huge difference getting it all done at once... once you go over the 100k mark these components are tired..even if they look ok on inspection you re talking about rubber components under load for a long time.. the phaetons weight accentuates this wear....what you ll notice is a tighter more cosseting feel..
drive a 20k car and identical 120k car back to back ... obviously the 120k car will feel more "tired"...
doing all the bushes .. rod assembly and drop links in my experience really freshens the car.. engine mounts also make a difference but thats a story for another day... :)..

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I am HUGELY interested in this thread. I've got a case of the "creaks" in the front and plan on keeping my car until it's outlawed (a la Neil Peart/Red Barchetta).

I anxiously await updates on your progress and final result. Best of luck!
Mine's been creaking ever since the front bumper was removed for the belt job. Current suspicion falls on the wheel well lining since I noticed that during the bumper replacement they managed to break on of the linings.

1 - 20 of 268 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.