VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 mk3 gti , i had my shocks and struts replaced about a year ago. any time i am going above 40mph and hit a bump in the road the car sways left and right, it started about three weeks ago and is getting worse every time i drive it. any advice?

· Registered
13,748 Posts
Re: suspension help.... (jump-ship)

Your new shocks from last year, or the strut mounts are history.
What brand and model did you have installed?
I'm guessing it was KYB's or Monroe, or some other junk struts and shocks.

Modified by germancarnut51 at 6:43 PM 3-24-2010

· Registered
13,748 Posts

Well, since you bought KYBs, you got what you paid for.
I try to warn people that are thinking about order those turds that they only last a year. and somebody always chimes in that he thinks KYBs are great. and he's never worn-out a set.
Unfortunately, now you know the truth, and you should tell people when they ask about buyng KYBs.
If you kept the receipt, KYBs are supposed to have a lifetime warranty. All you have to do is take them off your car, and send them to KYB with a copy of the receipt to get warranty service/replacement. Of course if they were damaged by abuse, or incorrect usage, your warranty is voided (were you using them with lowering springs?).

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: suspension help.... (germancarnut51)

i am not using lowering springs with the struts, what would be the best way to check the mounts and or struts to make sure they are bad? would sway bars possibly help at all?

· Registered
5,792 Posts
Re: suspension help.... (germancarnut51)

Quote, originally posted by germancarnut51 »
I try to warn people that are thinking about order those turds that they only last a year. and somebody always chimes in that he thinks KYBs are great. and he's never worn-out a set.

It's the same thing with JOM, Racelame, and the rest of the crap coil kits!!! They all think they're right!

Modified by gehr at 3:09 PM 3-26-2010

· Banned
1,241 Posts

I would just call KYB and tell them whats going on. Tell them what your setup consist. The worst they can tell ya is its not covered under warranty but I doubt they would say that since you are at stock height and DD the car.

· Registered
13,748 Posts
Re: suspension help.... ([email protected]_Groton)

The lifetime warranty on most struts and shocks works the same way for most manufacturers.
Phone or mail for an RMA (return material authorization).
Remove the suspected strut/s or shock/s, ship to manufacturer with original dated proof of purchase from Retail Seller (no warranty ecept to original retail buyer).
Manufacturer will test for perfomrance, and then disaasemble to check for signs of misuse, abuse, or improper assembly (if you bottomed the struts or shocks, or there is any sign or improper assembly (did you use a impact wrench to assemble or disassable) warranty is voided and you get an offer to replace or rebuild at your expense. If the strut/s or shock/s have no internal or external signs of abuse or misuse, or accidental damage, then warranty terms are applied.
The biggest catch is the fact that you must send the strut/s and/or shocks in with the original receipt. No ticky no washy. And what are you going to use to hold your car up for the 2-4 weeks it take for the manufacturer to make a determination, and either send you an invoice, or repair, or replace the damaged parts?
That's why I keep a spare set of old struts and shocks in the garage.

· Registered
13,748 Posts

When the strut mounts are bad, the gap between the fender and the strut cap grows. Wait too long to replace a bad strut mount, and the strut cap will bounce off the bottom of the hood when you hit a bump.
Since the springs are stiff enough to keep you from bouncing the car off the bottom, and get the car rocking (the way we used to test shocks), the only really good way to tell for sure is to disassemble the strut or shock assembly and work the strut or shock by itself to see if it's leaking or failing to dampen strut movement or extend properly (gas shocks).

· Registered
6,456 Posts

It could also be an alignment issue, or maybe even something loose in the suspension. Blown control arm bushings can also cause similar symptoms. It is probably worth pulling the wheels and looking around, focusing on the tie rods (inner and outer ends), control arm bushings, and balljoints for obvious wear or excessive play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.