VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suspension legos! MKI and MKII crossbreeding

EDITED:
Does anyone know where I can find dimensions and spring rates for MKI westy and MKII gti?
What is the diffirence if any in the mounting points and length of the housings?
Thanks
-Loki

Modified by SGLoki at 5:49 PM 9-15-2008

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BUMP!

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Suspension legos! MKI and MKII crossbreeding (SGLoki)

Quote, originally posted by SGLoki »
Does anyone know where I can find dimensions and spring rates for MKI westy and MKII gti? What is the difference if any in the mounting points and length of the housings?

In regard to dimensions or spring rates, I have never seen them posted anywhere. However I suspect the factory spring rates for a MK2 are a little stiffer than a MK1 spring rate due to the increased weight of a MK2.
The "mounting brackets" to the hub carrier (ie spindle, knuckle) are wider apart on a MK2 strut body. Consequently if you install MK2 strut housings on a MK1 hub carrier, you will need to fabricate a spacer of some nature to take up the additional width.
IIRC, the holes in the mounting brackets are slightly different between the MK1 and MK2 strut housings.
Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ryan you are awesome.
I expected a higher spring rate and a bit of lift due to the weight and larger wheel size and what seems like more travel(assuming...) I am hoping for a bit of lift, so I'll be sure to post after I try this so others can learn from my success....or mistakes..
unless it seems a bit too complex or unsafe., in which case I might avoid it.
I am not sure what you mean by a "spacer" exactly.
I could match the mounting holes and weld on some square stock and drill it to match, then cut out the top of the channel and mount it to the spindle... or just hack some MKI strut housings and mate them to the mkII... I guess... there's a million ways to do it, but I guess true understanding will come from tearing it all apart and measuring it all. I just hope the housings and struts are the same diameter.

If not... do you think the springs will fit the mkI housings?
Sorry to bother the great and mighty oracle of the 'tex, but this is my daily, any mods need to be done inside 2 days so I can drive it to work on my "mondays"

Modified by SGLoki at 10:01 PM 9-15-2008

·
Banned
25,977 Posts
Re: (SGLoki)

the mk2/3 springs will both fit a mk1 housing. the mk2 springs will raise the car about 1.5 inch over stock, an the mk3 even a bit more.
they are actually a great performance mod for the super budgeted person http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif i have mk3 springs on my diesel bunny an they work very well

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is awesome VWrally, that's EXACTLY what I wanted... maybe .5 inch less lift, but thats about perfect.
And bugeted is right, I work for a charity and I get paid in peanuts. lol
You rock thank you for the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.