VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 GLX sedan on order and have heard so many complaints about body-roll, squatting and diving that I'm about ready to cancel my order and go with the A4 but, I am hopelessly in love with the B5.5 (I'm sure some of you can relate). So, I am interested in a suspension mod that won't void my warranty and was told by a local dealer that VW offers an after-sale "sport package" for the Passat which basically is a new set of firmer springs. Parts and Labor would be just shy of $600. I've heard good things about this particular dealer's service dept so, I have no idea if they're yanking me and/or whether springs alone will make a noticeable difference. Of course, I will get the car and drive it first to see if I can deal with the OEM suspension. Additionally, I'm only a moderately aggressive driver but I do like to have fun on the twisties occasionally. Has anyone ever gotten this "sport package" from VW?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Suspension mods by VW - are they worth it? (Rick F)

Thanks guys, especially Der NuB for the exhaustive answer on suspensions. Funny thing - I never realized what kind of a support group I was inheriting when I decided to buy my Passat. BTW - I pick it up on Saturday - http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I can hear the Dell guy now - "Dude, Yer Gettin' a VW."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Suspension mods by VW - are they worth it? (Der NuB)

I've heard that the B5 suspension is softer than the B5.5, is this true? I'm supposed to take delivery of my '02 GLX sedan tomorrow and am seriously considering the 1BE upgrade but haven't tested an old A4 with the sport suspension. I'd love to make sure everything possible is covered under the regular warranty but I fear I'm going to end up with the 90-day warranty on the new equipment. Oh well, it's probably not a huge deal. If anybody has any last words of advice before I head over to the dealer, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Suspension mods by VW - are they worth it? (fowvay1)

Here's my new B5.5 '02 GLX, all stock at this point. (Pics are a little dark, will update today). I think the 1BE damper/spring mod is in my future if it will reduce the squat/dive/floatiness of the ride but, other than that, this car is just about perfect. Am assuming that the mod will be most noticeable/appreciated in cornering, starting and stopping. Is there an appreciable difference when you're on the highway cruising or is it still as smoothe as with the stock parts?
http://www.printroom.com/EditAlbum.asp?album_id=64930

[Modified by fowvay1, 4:17 PM 4-7-2002]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.