VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 500 miles on my TDI, and I've noticed that over rough pavement (which we have a lot of here in Baltimore) the suspension makes strange thumping noises, like something is loose.
There are no rattles communicated through the steering wheel, it's just the sound. Is this normal, or something I should get checked out? If the latter, what could be the cause(s)?
(Note: I searched for similar threads, but didn't find much. This is not the infamous squeeking over speedbumps.)
Thanks very much.

Modified by GTI 4 RD at 3:41 PM 4-22-2006

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Suspension noises ....normal? (GTI 4 RD)

Although I have have an 06 2.0T, I suspect our undercarriage is identical. Mine makes NO thumping sounds. You could simply have something loose from manufacture. Could be a loose shock, etc... I would take it immediately to the dealer to get it fixed. Thumping is not good - means it's thumping against something and should be taken care of quickly.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Suspension noises ....normal? (etcthorne)

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't seem to recall the same noises from my test drive of a different TDI (and we drove over rough pavement purposely to show off the car's suspension). Mine feels really loose, like something is not quite tied down.
However, I'm worried about the "could not duplicate" problem from the dealer. I have no idea what the potential source of the problem is, so I don't know what to have them check specifically (even if they can't duplicate). I'll tell them to check the shocks. Could the motor mounts also be a potential source?

13,854 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTI 4 RD »
Thanks. Yeah, I didn't seem to recall the same noises from my test drive of a different TDI (and we drove over rough pavement purposely to show off the car's suspension). Mine feels really loose, like something is not quite tied down.
However, I'm worried about the "could not duplicate" problem from the dealer. I have no idea what the potential source of the problem is, so I don't know what to have them check specifically (even if they can't duplicate). I'll tell them to check the shocks. Could the motor mounts also be a potential source?

Often when you get the "symptom not present today" bs from the dealer, the best thing to do is call VW's 800 number and politely explain that you are dissatisfied, and then they usually prod the dealer into actually looking at the problem rather than brushing you off.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: Suspension noises ....normal? (classicjetta)

Check the muffler - I got a nasty little noise right after I put my H&R's in, turned out to be the muffler bouncing up and hitting the sheild above it.
Luckily for me the springs settled in and the noise is pretty much gone.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Yes bring it to the dealer asap. I have a similar problem. The dealer is ordering all front left strut parts to try and fix the problem.
It feels like the strut mount is defective to me but we'll see.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Suspension noises ....normal? (velocidub)

Quote, originally posted by velocidub »
Yes bring it to the dealer asap. I have a similar problem. The dealer is ordering all front left strut parts to try and fix the problem.
It feels like the strut mount is defective to me but we'll see.

What are the symptoms of your problem? Again, for me, it feels like the front set up is just too loose, like there is a lot of "jangling" after you go over rough pavement. If that's similar to your problem, I'd be really interested to hear whether your dealer fixed it, and how. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts

my gti just got towed to the dealer with 380 miles...sounded like something was ponding a sledge hammer on the floor eithgr in the tunnel or the right front wheel are...scary to say it nicely. thsi car is shaping out to be a lemon in my case...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Suspension noises ....normal? (velocidub)

Quote, originally posted by velocidub »
Here is the link to my problem if you want to keep track. It will be awhile till they fix it. At least a week.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2559574

Thanks for the link -- my problem feels exactly the same. The car is fine over big bumps (steel plates, etc.), but the smaller bumps make a lot of thudding. I'm going to schedule an appointment asap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts