VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new so please help me out.
I'm planning to spend some $ on suspension of my 00' VR6. I don't wanna spend too much $ on coilovers but I also don't wanna just replace the springs cos I heard the stock shocks will be gone in months and you eventually have to replace them anyway (correct me if I'm wrong). So I wanna go somewhere between coilovers and just the springs.
Some ideas in mind I have are Koni adjustables + H&R springs, and Eibach Pro-System. Which one is better? Is there any better setups?
Thanks

[Modified by cdb, 3:48 PM 11-29-2001]

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Re: Suspension Question (cdb)

I just did Bilstein HD shocks ($440) and Neuspeed SoftSport springs ($205). The drop is less than half an inch. For me, I wanted better suspension, but I also wanted to retain ground clearance.
If you want more drop (~1.8") check out the Bilstein Sport Shocks and then a set of sport springs. There are quite a few companies that make springs for that drop: H&R, Neuspeed, Eibach

· Registered
128 Posts

The first mod i ever did to my Jetta VR6 was I put the neuspeed 1.5'' lowering springs on it without changing my shocks. I also started out with the stock sport suspension, but I did that mod months ago, and my ride is fine. Im not going to change it too soon, but eventually i will. I would say that you should just save enough money to do it all at once that way you dont have to worry about it.

· Registered
355 Posts
Re: Suspension Question (betta jetta)

OK, I'm interested in suspension work too, so I'm going to half bump this, and half ask another question.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Who, other than H&R, make a matched shock/spring combo for our cars ? I was originally looking to get coilovers, but the thought of spending a couple hundred dollars on properly adjusting them to the vehicle's corner weights etc etc etc (all that adjustment and tuning) just kind of put me off. Is Weitec's version just any old shock/spring set up, or is it matched (like I assume H&Rs is) to our cars?
s for all responses.

· Registered
2,669 Posts
Re: Suspension Question (AD)

quote:[HR][/HR]OK, I'm interested in suspension work too, so I'm going to half bump this, and half ask another question.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Who, other than H&R, make a matched shock/spring combo for our cars ? I was originally looking to get coilovers, but the thought of spending a couple hundred dollars on properly adjusting them to the vehicle's corner weights etc etc etc (all that adjustment and tuning) just kind of put me off. Is Weitec's version just any old shock/spring set up, or is it matched (like I assume H&Rs is) to our cars?
s for all responses.
[HR][/HR]​
Eibach Pro System with Pro Kit springs (1.2" drop) and matched dampers.

· Registered
1,615 Posts

You "can't" just go heavier on springs only...the stock shocks (even the factory spt susp pkg which I had) can't handle the increased spring rates of even sport springs. You will blow the shocks out much, much sooner. Also, the stock shock is not setup for the car's drop...you could "bottom out" the shock on a bad bump. You will get strange oscillations with a weak shock on a firmer spring. The factory spt pkg springs/shocks are not even close to the aftermarket ones in handling and control. H&R sport springs will drop your car 1.5". Go to their website and check out the details. http://www.HRsprings.com
I really enjoy my setup....no harshness, just firm enough and will still give you PLENTY of ground clearance.

[Modified by Sheep, 8:22 PM 11-29-2001]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.