VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys, i ordered what i thought was dropzone coilovers complete setup, like a legit coilover, what i got and realized afterwards was a coil sleeve, so its the adjustable peice+spring that goes over the strut. i just bought brand new struts, the rear of my car is fine, but the front is still a huge wheel gap. i have the sleeve adjusted all the way down...
i was wondering if anyone would know how to make it so i could go lower, without buying a new setup.
I'm on a decently tight budget and just spent money on all new struts plus these POS.
Thanks,
David

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Re: Suspension questions...please help (Euro-Fuzz)

Your best option is to try and sell them, but here are some tips on getting low with sleeves. It's been a while but I did this ~8 years ago when I was 17 and broke.
-Make sure they're installed correctly, make sure you only have one upper spring seat in there and the OEM spring seat is not used.
-Trim the OEM front bumpstops down to almost nothing. I used one "lump" if that makes sense.
-Cut off the lower spring seats on the struts, but leave a little lip still attached. This allows the sleeves to sit a little lower, and gives you more room to crank them down.
-Buy shorter springs from Ground Control, Eibach, H&R. At about $130/pair that can be expensive, and you will need to measure the springs you have to choose properly.
If you do some of these things you can get lower, but not "low" by vortex standards. What struts/shocks do you have?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Re: Suspension questions...please help (Afazz)

It took me a bit to find the pic, here is my old mk2 on sleeves.

That's with almost zero bumpstop, OEM struts, cut lower spring perches, I just remembered I removed the 2nd adjuster perch to thread them down an extra 1/4", shorter coilover springs (involving a sawzall, torch, and vise...not recommended), blown out mk2 upper mounts. It rode like garbage and wasn't even low by todays standards!
If I think of it I will have to snap a pic of the old suspension. I still have it laying around to laugh at

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

That honestly helps alot. I feel ya on being 17 and broke cuz thats where i am right now haha.
But im running gilstein struts/shocks. Im pretty sure they r just OEM, but they r brand new. When i get out of work ill throw a picture up of how the car looks. Ur golf is deffinatly way lower than what my jettas sitting at.
But as for right now thank you again http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Afazz »

if you still have this car send me your paypal info http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would get racelands but it just s*cks that i just bought all new shocks/struts + the stupid sleeves. that was well over what i would pay for the racelands as well...

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Re: (tylerlb)

Quote, originally posted by tylerlb »
sell the bilsteins and sleeves and buy racelands. \you can for sure either break even or get money back just selling the bilsteins.

this
shoot, even if you lose some money on the deal...that's the price you pay for not doing research.
do it up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (I haz cheezeburgerz)

I did do ky research. The website sent me a differemt thing than wat i ordered. Then when i got in contact with them they tried telling me its what was advertised

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Re: (Euro-Fuzz)

Hey homie, if you want I'm in Boston and have virtually new (1kmi or so) FK adjustable dampening cupkit.
PM, and I can give to decent deal as I have no speace for em and I may be in the Brockton area this wknd http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts