VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few reviews that criticize the suspension & steering as soft & numb.
Are the specs for Europe any different? Anyone in NA tried to order a Tiguan with stiffer suspension & tighter steering?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: Suspension & steering in NA vs. Europe (rkuehn)

NA is ONLY sport package with stiffer suspension and sport front bumper.
ROW (EU and some other countries) you have few options, normal and track & field with normal suspension (could be called softer or normal) and sport with stiffer suspension.
Sometimes I wished my NA Tig had softer suspension as some highways are horrible here in States. If you have ever driven 118 from 405 in LA, it is good example and made me wonder why the road company got paid at the first place...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rkuehn »
Anyone in NA tried to order a Tiguan with stiffer suspension & tighter steering?

"Hi dealer, I want a stiffer suspension in my Tiguan, can I please order that?"
That's not really how it works.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Re: Suspension & steering in NA vs. Europe (Straz85)

If the suspension was any stiffer it would be uncomfortable. The steering feels a little different because of the mechanics of it, but I would hardly describe it as "numb".
If you were reading a European review, it's possible they were talking about the softer suspension, but otherwise they were just idiotic. Also all the reviews I read before buying said the suspension was good on 17's but might be a little hard on 18's. I have the 18's and I can say I would not want it any stiffer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Suspension & steering in NA vs. Europe (Straz85)

Quote, originally posted by Straz85 »
That's not really how it works.

Well, actually, some European manafacturers do soften up their suspensions & dumb down the steering due to their perceptions of the American consumer.
But only the inquiring mind might be thinking of an alternative to such things.
For example, Volvo will soon offer what were previously known as USA- and Europe-spec suspensions in both markets for the S80. So if you can muster the extra moment of thought when placing your order, you might actually get a vehicle you're happier with.
Question was whether VW dumbs down Tiguan's suspension & steering for USA and, if so, could those that were aware of such things find a work-around.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My NA Tig feels stiffer than my Rabbit, and honestly handles better. While the ride comfort is better in the Rabbit, the Tig comfort level is by no means poor and does not bother me at all. I came from an RSX and now THAT is some poor ride comfort. yuck!
I have no complaints about the steering feel or suspension in my Tig. I would not classify the steering as numb, but it is not as connected as my RSX was. The RSX had the most perfect steering wheel and steering feel, but an abominable turning radius. You have to remember, the Tig is a mini-ute, not a sports car.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rkuehn »

Question was whether VW dumbs down Tiguan's suspension & steering for USA and, if so, could those that were aware of such things find a work-around.

Yes you can do that with any German brand and my father have been doing that as long as I remember.
All you need is bunch of cash and fly to Germany and visit brand factory. Works with Audi/VW, BMW, MB and Porsche. You tell them you need Tig with American specs with additional toys and they will tell you it is X amount of money more than stock model and Y day is the day when it goes to production line.
Does Norht America dealer help you? NO as they don't give a crap about your special needs
(I tired to get Track and Field)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting comments... that's a pet peeve of mine, buying a European car then having to spend extra $ in aftermarket to make it handle like a... European car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: (rkuehn)

Yes it is European car but not with Euro specs.
There is an idiot in NA VW who desided to import only Sport package that haves stiffer suspension and sport front bumper.
In Europe most coutries have 3 different trim levels to choose.
- Trendline (classic/standard how ever it is called)
- Track and Field (with off-road program that improves traction control)
- Sport

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: (kleinbus)

euro teegwans have dcc -adaptive suspension setting to tighten
the handling- most models sold are the less powerful tdi's
my set up is non sporting and only slight lean on tight corners
otherwise good overall ride

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Re: (mars4lux)

Quote, originally posted by mars4lux »
euro teegwans have dcc -adaptive suspension setting to tighten
the handling- most models sold are the less powerful tdi's
my set up is non sporting and only slight lean on tight corners
otherwise good overall ride

The adaptive suspension is only an OPTION though, not a standard fitment in most markets. I believe it was brought in after the Q5 came out with it standard in Europe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts