VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Re: Suspension - Strut Spreader Tool (Danny`)

oo dope maybe i seen u around in ewa beach.. i d k.. me and my fwen jus put a flathead in the gap pryed it a bit and pounded away.. or u can jus goto Tom at Taivw.. or vg!

·
Banned
2,234 Posts

If you are having a hard time on the drivers side,then you will take twice as long on the passenger side,it has to be disassembled further.I charge a $100.00 and it is easy with the right tools.If yo can't figure it out give me a hello!Latez [email protected]

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Re: Suspension - Strut Spreader Tool (SILVERADO)

listen to Thomas, he's da man with da masta plan. Da best in VW's, he gave me the hook up with his part man, that didnt work out, but it was a great experience none the less. Oh ya, Thomas, I'm coming soon to get my tranny
CHEEE!!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: Suspension - Strut Spreader Tool (DaBigKaleo003)

I would have to agree with derf some heavy poundage will be neccessary....but then you wanna go the safe way, go to Thomas (silverado) taivw...he's one great guy that know's his stuff

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: Suspension - Strut Spreader Tool (bdub808)

ahh yes trying to do it on your own
when meeh and mike did it took us the whole freakin day and night. not only that when you get it out you need a impact wrench to get that bolt off its a pain in the ass but never spent anything. wanted to go to VG or TAi but don't have the $$ but if your going to do it again and need help you can give meeh a hello! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

I would wait on cutting the rubber. my car is currently dropped on Neuspeed Race springs (2" all around) and I have yet to rub my swaybars on anything. Oh and as for dropping the car I'd give you advice, but you'd have to ask Sonic Motorsports, they did my car for me over 2 years ago.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Haha. I think I might be able to pull it off. I have a 1/2" breaker bar and lotsa 1/2" sockets so most bolts are easy to get off.
One very stupid thing I noticed was that I didn't even unbolt the swaybar on my first attempt, which probably explains why the strut didn't come out more then halfway .. DOH!?!
Oh yes .. I have another problem though .. There is a rubber donut around the driver's side axle, right beneath the swaybar .. With Stock suspension (compressed normally with the car on the ground) , clearance from the donut to the swaybar seems to be around 2" or less. I'm not exactly sure if it would touch with the drop, but it seems really likely that it will. Some guy said it was a vibration damper and I wouldn't need it, so its ok to take it off. Problem is, a simple knife won't work. I can slice the bottom part of it, but the outer ring is like suuuuper stiff rubber. No like cut through.
Wtf should I use to cut that thing off?
Thanks...
Danny[HR][/HR]​
The only problem you might have is getting the nut off the top of the strut. They are on there pretty tight. I got lucky when I did my Beetle because my friend works at a VW dealer so we had a lift to do it on. It made a life a lot easier.
Another thing you can use to spread the strut peice is an Allen key. Find one that fits into the slot just perfect then twist it really slow. It shpuld spread it enough to get the strut out.

[Modified by SONIC S, 4:49 AM 1-28-2003]

·
Registered
5,732 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]oh yeah sure, no problem for the top of the strut. A spark plug socket and 7mm allen wrench works wonders.
The only thing I may have problems with are getting the front struts out of the bottom mount, and finding a way to put the car on two jackstands while I drop the rear axle. Oh, yeah .. hopefully that donut won't rub

GTIRacerGuy:
Does your car have the rubber thing too? lol weird because i've never seen anyone on the forums that said anything about a rubber donut.

Thanks guys, this is really helpful .. I'll try again later when my sister gets some new shocks..
Danny

[Modified by Danny`, 7:01 AM 1-28-2003][HR][/HR]​
You won't have too much of a problem getting the strut out of the drivers side. But the passenger side is a pain because the lower contro arm won't drop down far enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.