VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in a thread, but no answers, I know people don't feel like reading through the whole thing, so here I am posting this on the top...
I'm leaning towards H&R cupkit, but some say go for coilovers by H&R, I don't wanna spend more than a thousand on suspension, because that's unrealistic, I know I will never ever adjust the height of the car so why should I waste money on coilovers when I won't even bother playing with the height, now if you can convince me...I'll go for it, I have a good budget, but I'd rather keep money in my pocket if I'll be paying for a feature I won't need
"I paid extra and I don't even need to raise it or drop it...DAMN!!!!"

[Modified by SonyGTI, 2:15 AM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Suspension, this is my 4th question (vwrules)

lol, vwrules, you again!! well let's see what others thing, I'm leaning towards cupkit cause I don't wanna spend too much on suspension, but if the coilovers have other benefits than "adjusting the height" that would be cool...

·
Registered
10,073 Posts
Re: Suspension, this is my 4th question (SonyGTI)

koni yellows/h&r sports. perfect if you're gonna leave the drop alone. you can adjust the dampening if you'd like. cost about.....489+175 = 664. good bang for your buck.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts

the reason you would get coilovers is if you want to lower it more than 2 inches which are the lowest that most springs will go. if you just want to lower it less than that then a cup kit works. coilovers are customizable to the driver even if you only do it once while spring/ shocks combo are already set to a pretty good setting. your choice.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: Suspension, this is my 4th question (LA Wolfsburg)

quote:[HR][/HR]the reason you would get coilovers is if you want to lower it more than 2 inches which are the lowest that most springs will go.[HR][/HR]​
Absolutely not true.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

If you know, with absolute certainty, that you will never, ever want to lower or raise the car without changing the suspension, then get a springs/shocks combo.
However, when looking for this combo, make sure you find one that will provide handling characteristics, and a drop, that you will be happy with. If you get one combo, don't like something about it, and then get another, you've probably just dropped enough $$ to get close to a coilover kit.
My story: I went with the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers for my Jetta sedan. After a while, I decided that I wouldn't need the features of the coilovers, and sold them (uninstalled). Then I bought a Weitec GT 30mm (1.5" drop) cup kit ... a spring/shock combo. Like advertised, it dropped the car about 1.5". It also improved the handling. With the addition of front and rear sway bars, the car would have been perfect but for one thing .... the drop didn't look the way I wanted it to, too much wheel gap in the front.
So now, with the wagon, I've decided to do it right (for me) and I've got a set of KW Variant I coilovers on the way. These will give me the handling I want and I can set the drop to be just about whatever I like.
My 2 cents.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
Re: Suspension, this is my 4th question (moclov)

kup kit or any spring strut shock combo = good ride and performance
coilovers = really rough ride and very good performance
you choose...that was the determining factor for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts