VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Suspension/Tire problems: Tire rubbing passenger fender lip

605 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  16V Seattle 
#1 ·
I've got a MKIV VR6 Jetta w/Progress Sport Springs, Bilstein Shocks/Struts and everything was great. I installed the 18x8 Oettinger RE's w/ 225/40/18 Khumo Ecsta's and now when I hit a decent bump the right tire rubs the fender and makes an awful noise.
There is no damage to the fender but over the past couple of months a lot of build up of what I'm assuming is rubber on the inner lip of the fender and I have noticed a small ring on the tire where it is rubbing. Trying to find a solution before it gets worse.
My question is what is the best solution for this? I haven't heard of anyone else having any troubles with the 18x8 rim setup.
My front driver side measurement from the ground to the fender lip is 24 13/16" and from the passenger side is 24 7/16". Allmost 1/2" difference in drop on each side. Is this normal? Is the VR6 engine heavier on the passenger side which may be causing that spring to compress more or is it possible that my suspension needs to be replaced. I only have around 35-40k on my suspension setup (Bilstein's shock struts & Progress sport springs) Any help will be appreciated!! Thanks
I'll try to post a pic. It's not the side of the car where the rubbing occurs but will give you an idea of how it looks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Suspension/Tire problems: Tire rubbing passenger fender lip (navegs)

So you've had your setup for a while then, correct? And it never rubbed like this before, or at least this problem developed recently? If so, then I'd say the passenger side may have sagged a bit. Probably a problem with the suspension setup. Like you said, I've never heard of anyone having problems being that low in the front with 18x8 and 225s. When looking at the front passenger side suspension, does anything look out of place?

#3 ·
Re: Suspension/Tire problems: Tire rubbing passenger fender lip (burdelli)

The problem started occuring the day I put the new rims on. Which leads me to believe that the only reason I didn't notice it before is because the stock tires were not as wide.
I had the suspension around 8 months before I put the new tires/rims on. It's not a problem on the drivers side. Which I guess means that something is up with the passenger side. I guess my best bet is to take it somewhere and have it checked.
If I were to replace the springs alltogether, what would you recommend? H&R Sports seem to be getting pretty good reviews?
Thanks!

#4 ·
Re: Suspension/Tire problems: Tire rubbing passenger fender lip (navegs)

Looks considerably lower in the front. You might consider spring spacers instead of replacing the entire spring setup. Just a thought, I had to lift my GTI a little and roll the inside edge of the fenders when I went to bigger rims. nice ride! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.