VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Deal
I need to get some new suspension for my Scirocco. I am almost positive that the current suspension setup has more than 80,000 miles on it- if not more
The Criteria
I want to stay as close to stock as possible. I don't want to spend an enormous amount of cash on suspension alone. I also do not want lowering springs.
The Issue
The only problem is that I am a complete noob when it comes to suspension, and I have no idea what I really need to get.

Modified by wheeltowheel at 5:59 PM 7-2-2008

·
Banned
25,977 Posts
Re: Suspension! (wheeltowheel)

what are you after?
do you want to increase the performance of you setup? or just replace the old stuff cause its..old?

·
Registered
18,520 Posts

I say - you want to stay close to stock? Go stock! That's what I did!
I used Sachs Supertouring struts, stock springs, new strut bearings, new bushings in the rear, and new inner and outer tie-rods.
Replace the engine mounts too - you will have a happy, quiet car that's great for a daily drive!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Suspension! (timbo2132)

Quote, originally posted by timbo2132 »
I say - you want to stay close to stock? Go stock! That's what I did!
I used Sachs Supertouring struts, stock springs, new strut bearings, new bushings in the rear, and new inner and outer tie-rods.
Replace the engine mounts too - you will have a happy, quiet car that's great for a daily drive!

I replaced the passenger's mount- the others look and feel good.

·
Registered
34,590 Posts

Had my engine mounts replaced, now the car rattles like there's no tomorrow
I hope they'll 'wear' in

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,832 Posts

On my Slegato, I had stock springs, and Boge Pro Gas shocks.
The car was running great. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Re: Suspension! (Iroczgirl)

Quote, originally posted by Iroczgirl »
I hope they'll 'wear' in

X2..... I just think of the hand massage steering wheel as a feature

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Re: Suspension! (BluDemon)

Quote, originally posted by BluDemon »
X2..... I just think of the hand massage steering wheel as a feature

Poly motor mounts and steering rack bushings...now there's a hand massage.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: Suspension! (Iroczgirl)

Quote, originally posted by Iroczgirl »
I hope they'll 'wear' in

Yeah cuz girls HATE vibrations.....

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Re: Suspension! (polov8)

Is your suspension shot? It may not really need all that many parts replaced.
However, springs last a long time so if you are happy with height and handling reuse the springs. Just buy a good set of shocks - Boge Turbogas for stock or Bilstein for a stiffer ride, of course there are a million other shock manufacturers too.
Then replace any and all worn bushings with new rubber pieces. Control arm bushings, ball joints, strut mounts, tie rod ends, streering rack bushings, sway bar bushings etc.
Check the motor mounts too, they are rubber and wear out just like the bushings.
If you are keeping it simple and affordable and know your shocks are dead, just replace them and your car will feel new again.
P.S. I am saying shocks, but of course I mean struts as well.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Re: FV-QR (wheeltowheel)

Absolutely.
Bilstein HD inserts in the front ( uses your stock struts, just puts a WAY better shock into your strut tower)
Bilstein HD rear ( Replaces the entire shock back there)
Neuspeed ( or H&R...same same ) Lowering sport springs. ( A little stiffer than stock rate, plus lowering the front, enough to get the rears onto the last perch setting, and finally have a level car!)
Koni makes a similar set up that is prolly cheaper in cost, but Bilstein seems to just be the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
Re: FV-QR (wheeltowheel)

Quote, originally posted by wheeltowheel »
Any other comments on the Bilstein HD shock set? I will probably be going with those

Bilstein makes some of the finest shocks out there. i had a set and wish i never parted with them.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Re: Suspension! (RoccoRacer)

Quote, originally posted by RoccoRacer »

Poly motor mounts and steering rack bushings...now there's a hand massage.

I put poly mounts on my 16V prior to Cincy. No complaints AT ALL. So maybe it's an engine alignment issue if you have vibration.
For suspension, I'm a fan of Koni Yellows (with H&R springs), you can dial them hard or soft depending on the application. Just about ready to buy a second set actually.
I have H&R coilovers on the 16V, and it's really firm ( and nice) but that's pretty much overkill (and spendy) for a daily driver (or for mine too, for that matter).

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Re: Suspension! (punchbug)

If your car vibrates after new engine mounts, something is wrong.
99.9% of the time somebody put in the passenger side mount upside-down, that will vibrate like crazy. My '81 had new mounts when I bought it but the passenger side was upside down and it would rattle your teeth. I had all new HD mounts with poly inserts on the passenger, front, and driver's side mounts on my '84 and it didn't vibrate at all. I've heard that running the poly rear mount is what causes the most vibration.
Anywho, Bilstein are great struts, I would consider top of the line. I've heard great things about the Boge pro-gas and Koni too. But stay far, far away from KYB. They are junk.
Brendan

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Re: Suspension! (Lord_Verminaard)

My Roc has Tokico stuts & shocks w/ Eibach Pro-Kit springs. It rides & handles beautifully & everyone tells me I need to lower it so you might look in that direction.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: Suspension! (dsr16v)

hey i am upgrading my suspension as well, so i take it bilstein is the best brand so far for a scirocco? and also, do you have to compress the springs to take them out? Also, what tools should be needed, and how bad is it having grooves in the front rotors?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts