VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: SUV owners (HR_racer)

All vehicles will overturn when subject to certain extreme conditions. Any driver in any vehicle that is induced into any type of rollover, especially a tripped rollover is subject to a very, very great chance serious injury or most likely death.
SUVs are not responsible for the price of gas. You can thank our nation's energy policy for this.
Car makers that sell vehicles in the US are required to meet CAFE (corporate average fuel economy). All vehicles sold here including SUVs have strict emissions standards that must be met.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: SUV owners (Morgan Perez)

Quote, originally posted by Morgan Perez »
All vehicles will overturn when subject to certain extreme conditions. Any driver in any vehicle that is induced into any type of rollover, especially a tripped rollover is subject to a very, very great chance serious injury or most likely death.
SUVs are not responsible for the price of gas. You can thank our nation's energy policy for this.
Car makers that sell vehicles in the US are required to meet CAFE (corporate average fuel economy). All vehicles sold here including SUVs have strict emissions standards that must be met.

Valid point. But the point of this comic is to poke fun of the fact that people get angry when they have to pay for their vehicles horrible gas mileage, despite paying a buttload of money for the car in the firstplace.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Re: SUV owners (robbndahood)

i told some of my friends(some owning full size trucks) a while ago that once you buy a full sized car or truck you lose your privilege to ***** about gas prices.

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Re: SUV owners (robbndahood)

Quote, originally posted by robbndahood »

Valid point. But the point of this comic is to poke fun of the fact that people get angry when they have to pay for their vehicles horrible gas mileage, despite paying a buttload of money for the car in the firstplace.

I personally, have never once heard an SUV owner complain about the price of gas. Sorry, but if you can afford a $40,000+ vehicle, then I really doubt you'll complain about a $30 fill up.
The people I DO hear complain, are people the people who can't afford such vehicles. The ones who buy Jettas, Golfs, Beetles, Hondas, etc. They're the ones who typically start complaining about the price of gas.
I hear all the time, about how people laugh when they see someone in a big SUV filling their car up at the gas station, and how they know that SUV owner is steaming because of how expensive it is to fill up.
Sorry, that's their perception. But again, typically, it's the people who can't afford such vehicles who are more strapped for cash, and they're the ones doing the complaining.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts

All

Uh, it's not quite that simple or rosy. Passenger vehicles are required by CAFE standards to average 27.5 mpg. Light trucks are only required 20.7 mpg without penalty. (Cars that average better than 27.5 mpg earn credits to offset light trucks or cars within the manufacturer's line that get worse than 20.7mpg) At the time the standards were drafted, light trucks were almost exclusively used for work purposes. Thanks to our lobbying system, SUV's are classified as light trucks rather than the passenger vehicles they should be.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Re: SUV owners (norman)

Quote, originally posted by norman »
i told some of my friends(some owning full size trucks) a while ago that once you buy a full sized car or truck you lose your privilege to ***** about gas prices.

notice how for those types of people gas mileage is never an issue until after they buy it, I think they should lose the right to B**** after they buy their 2nd gas guzzler, then tell them they have no right opening their mouth on the subject, I have a friends who's thinking and reasoning is bass ackwards when it comes to cars...instead of paying like 300 to get a scratch fixed he wants to pay over 1,000 to have the whole car painted a year after getting it, and he wants a different color too when he could have chosen any of the other 150 new Hyundai Accents the dealer had in inventory

·
Registered
167 Posts

c'mon now can we be any more general? All people are going to die when exposed to extreme conditions but if you put yourself in a house that's on fire, you're more likely to die. Okay that's a messed up comparison but you get my point
Put most any SUV in Mitsubishi's cheesy "accident avoidance" commercial, and you'd see that thing tumbling down the freeway.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Re: SUV owners (zhenya00)

Quote, originally posted by zhenya00 »

Thanks to our lobbying system, SUV's are classified as light trucks rather than the passenger vehicles they should be.

While I agree that cars and car-based SUVs should not be able to be classified as light trucks, why should an SUV that is essentially a truck with more seats be called a car? Most SUVs don't hold more passenger than a crew-cab pickup. People are moving away from truck-based SUVs, if you haven't noticed. Car-based vehicles like the Pilot, Highlander and smaller ones like the CR-V are all over the place and domestic brands are starting to roll out more car-based SUVs, too.
The number people using truck based SUVs will eventually drop, and I really see no reason why they shouldn't be classified as trucks. The people who will use them most likely have a legitimate need such as towing, carrying large loads or off-roading. If you were a consumer wanting an SUV to drive the family around to soccer practice, and weren't a moron, you would get a car-based one. A five minute test drive would be all it takes to see the advantages in ride quality, not to mention better fuel economy. The truck-based SUVs will be there for those who have truck needs and also want space for storage and passengers.
There's a reason for the seperate classifications in the first place. Trucks by definition cannot get the same fuel economy as cars. I don't mean to say it can never improve, hybrid and diesel technology is constantly becoming more advanced. There's just no way you can make a truck that can tow and haul large loads light enough to use smaller, more fuel efficient engines.
Like I said, a truck-based SUV is not going to be attractive to consumers looking for a passenger car, and shouldn't be classified as such even if some people use it as one. My family has a Blazer they bought a while ago and it is mainly used as a passenger car. The issues such as noise, rough ride, thirst for gas, etc. bother them somewhat. If they were in the market for another SUV, and didn't have a need for a truck-based one come up such as towing a camper, there's no way in hell they'd buy another. Unless you actually have the need for a truck, why would you compromise?
-Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts