VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to black out all the trim on my car and one thing is the roof rails. Does anyone know if these are identical between the GSW and Alltrack? If so, it seems like the main challenges would be sourcing a pair and pull the headliner (maybe this is easy?).

Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe a lot of trim pieces have to come down before the headliner can. Plus, if you're not leaking now, why chance it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I haven’t done my research into the pano leak yet...trying to manifest an outcome lol.

So removing the headliner / trim is part of what causes the pano leaks? And therefore removing the headliner to do the roof rails jeopardizes the non-leakiness of the pano?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm looking to black out all the trim on my car and one thing is the roof rails. Does anyone know if these are identical between the GSW and Alltrack? If so, it seems like the main challenges would be sourcing a pair and pull the headliner (maybe this is easy?).

Has anyone done this?
I put Alltrack roof rails on my SW. The headliner needs to come down to get to the nuts holding them on (2 per end / 8 total.) My silver Alltrack roof rails came with new gaskets. There are a bunch of different part numbers and it isn't real clear what fits what but I'm 90% sure all MK7 or 7.5 wagons use the same mounting points. I was having a hard time figuring out what part numbers I needed so eventually I went to the dealer, took a picture of an Alltrack VIN on the lot, and said order replacement roof rails for this vehicle. It worked out perfect. I have my black ones from my 2018 SW in the roof of my garage and they have part numbers on them. If you are interested I'll see what the part numbers are.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put Alltrack roof rails on my SW. The headliner needs to come down to get to the nuts holding them on (2 per end / 8 total.) My silver Alltrack roof rails came with new gaskets. There are a bunch of different part numbers and it isn't real clear what fits what but I'm 90% sure all MK7 or 7.5 wagons use the same mounting points. I was having a hard time figuring out what part numbers I needed so eventually I went to the dealer, took a picture of an Alltrack VIN on the lot, and said order replacement roof rails for this vehicle. It worked out perfect. I have my black ones from my 2018 SW in the roof of my garage and they have part numbers on them. If you are interested I'll see what the part numbers are.

That would be great. Any chance you'd be interested in selling them? If so, PM me.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I have a 2016 GSW and want to remove the roof rails. Any chance you have a build thread or instructions that you wouldn't mind sharing on the headliner removal?

John

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a 2016 GSW and want to remove the roof rails. Any chance you have a build thread or instructions that you wouldn't mind sharing on the headliner removal?

John
Unfortunately, I don't. I had a leaking antenna gasket that damaged the headliner. The dealer replaced the antenna gasket and headliner under warranty. While they had the headliner off I had them swap the roof rails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.