VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do a 1.8T swap. I have found a 2000 MK IV and I am wondering if the stock 1.8T downpipe will fit in a MK3 GTI?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: SWAP QUESTION ASAP! (bobqzzi)

Quote, originally posted by bobqzzi »
probably not, but I believe Techtinios sells a 1.8T into MKII downpipe, which should fit, since Mk II's and III's share downpipes

thats not true, mk3's blocks, specifically the 2.0 8v sit 5/8ths of an inch taller than an mk2, which although doesnt seen like much is enough to cause the oem mk2 downpipe to not fit when installing a 2.0 block. the mk3 dowpipe is an inch longer.
worst case scenario though the tt downpipe will sit an inch lower than normal due to that extra 5/8ths and the extra diameter... which might scrape if ur lowered

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Re: SWAP QUESTION ASAP! (laydback)

Quote, originally posted by laydback »

thats not true, mk3's blocks, specifically the 2.0 8v sit 5/8ths of an inch taller than an mk2, which although doesnt seen like much is enough to cause the oem mk2 downpipe to not fit when installing a 2.0 block. the mk3 dowpipe is an inch longer.
worst case scenario though the tt downpipe will sit an inch lower than normal due to that extra 5/8ths and the extra diameter... which might scrape if ur lowered

Actually you don't have it quite right. The MKIII block is 5/8" taller, but the pipes are the same. the chassis are different.
I used to make the 5/8" spacers to adapt the tall (236mm)blocks to Mark II's.
If he puts the 220mm block in the MK III, then the pipe will be 5/8 lower, which should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts