VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm picking up an 83 gti tomorrow and i'll be throwing in my juiced 16v into it. the only problem is with my mother. Since i still live with her she says what goes and what doesn't, and she said "you're not putting that engine into that smaller lighter car without a roll bar and racing harnesses." So i now need to find a good roll bar/ cage, but i don't want anything to extend in front of the drivers seat (is that considered a half cage?) Where can i go to get such a bar? and are there any premade bars for the rabbit? thanks guys!

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Swaping my 16v into a rabbit, but i NEED a roll bar and 4pt harnesses first... (El Conejo)

In reality, a person can get hurt more with a single roll bar and racing seat belts if a proper seat is not used to contain the driver.
Due to the cushion of the stock VW seats, a racing harness will not secure the driver well, and if the roll bar is not properly padded with the right material, you can kill yourself by hitting your head on the roll bar.
The early GTI's were well designed cars with numerous safety features, such as energy absorbing crush zones, and integrated door bars.
Since you are in Florida, check with BSI Racing http://www.bsiracing.com and talk with Stu about what is best if your mother still insists that the car must have a roll bar. Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Re: Swaping my 16v into a rabbit, but i NEED a roll bar ... (WackyWabbitRacer)

a rabbit doesnt weigh that much less than a scirocco 16v, and structurally the cars are almost identical. if you do all the corresponding suspension / braking upgrades to bring the rabbit up to or better than rocco 16v spec, your mom shoulnd't have anything to complain about.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Swaping my 16v into a rabbit, but i NEED a roll bar ... (WackyWabbitRacer)

Quote, originally posted by WackyWabbitRacer »
...if the roll bar is not properly padded with the right material, you can kill yourself by hitting your head on the roll bar...

even if wrapped in said padding, i wouldn't let someone swing a baseball bat at my head with it...
don't feel safe in caged cars without a helmet...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts