VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, its really much easier than most would think. This list might seem long and daunting but I'm no rocket scientist (just ask my friends) and if I can do it so can you.

The reasons to do this?
-Cost of timing chain parts, phasers and cogs.
-Wear on the rest of the 3.6 parts (rings, bearings and HPFP)
-Bent valves: have you priced out the parts like gaskets, bolts, timing parts and valves.
-skill, do you really have the 3.6 experience to do any or all of the work listed above as well if not better than the factory did?
-Price of a long block with fairly low miles is about the same as the price of the timing parts and head gasket maintenance parts.
-Forged Cranks in 2012+ Passat 3.6 and 2013+ Touaregs

I swapped a 2017 Touareg 3.6 CGRA engine into my Corrado that had been running a 2006 Passat BLV engine and harness. There are a couple minor changes and different paths on how to handle them. Personally this is how I handled them:

-Vacuum pump on the side of the head: I used a block off plate. Chandler Bobo in the VW 2.8|2.9|3.0|3.2|3.6 VR6 Performance Facebook Group sells them for $60 shipped with a gasket, maybe it was $50

-Intake manifold: The intake ports are the same size and bolt patterns are the same. I used the silver 1 piece manifold. You could use in the Black 2 piece manifold and keep the vacuum pump. This might cause a CEL but I'm not certain and it can easily be coded out, the silver manifold is known to split with time, I've sold a LOT of used manifolds to replace split manifolds. The 2 piece manifold makes life easier on maintenance for the valve cover gasket and so on. If you chose to swap silver intake manifold you will need to swap in the corresponding dipstick tube, vacuum lines, and actuator. Also the bracket on the back of the head and the exhaust manifold heat shield all need to be swapped together to make everything fit.

-Exhaust Manifolds: Use the exhaust manifolds that came with the engine from the factory. The newer engines have larger different shaped ports so get the corresponding manifolds.

-Throttle Body: I chose to use the older throttle body because the newer ones had a different butterfly and I thought the design might have changed and didn't want to chance issues.

-Crank Sensor: the newer engines use a different style sensor and when I first cranked mine up it didn't start and I had no RPMs on the tach so I swapped in the old sensor and it started right up.

-I think I changed the cam position sensors (I did all of this about 18 months ago)

-A couple of the sensors have different plugs and I think I chose to swap the plug housings to make them work. (18 months ago so its all rather foggy)

-Waterpump: the Newer Touareg has a waterpump with a vacuum operated shield to stop the flow of water and to help it warm up faster. I capped this off and removed the solenoid.

-Coolant pipe around the block and the hose between the metal pipe and thermostat housing pipe are different and need to be swapped

-Coolant pipe off the back of the head: starting around 2008 VW swapped to a plastic design, the earlier ones were aluminum but use a metal sandwich gasket that is No Longer Available, I had a shop cut an O-ring groove so I could use the O-ring used on the new plastic flange on the aluminum flange. https://phenixengineering.com/shop/ is who has the jig to machine the groove. I also have a couple of these aluminum coolant flanges if you want to buy one, $30 shipped

-the early Passat coolant thermostat pipe housing, the 2008+ engines have an extra port that you will need to cap off.

-Touareg has a coolant port on the front of the head that needs to be capped off with a freeze plug

-newer style crank pulley has 7 bolts and the old style has 1 single bolt so get the crank pulley when you buy the engine

-newer Passat engines have an oil filter housing that doesn’t have a spin on oil cooler assembly. I envision the early oil filter housings being desirable for people that want external oil coolers.

-All of the bolt holes are the same as far as I can remember

-Fuel pressure sensor: on the early cars the sensor is on the HPFP housing and on newer engines the sensor port is deleted and the sensor sits on the valve cover. On my swap I swapped the cap on the HPFP so I could keep the sensor in the early location but get the newer HPFP.

Touareg engines into a Passat and visa versa:
-You will need to swap the oil pans and pickup tube
-You will also need to grind off a small spot on the Touareg’s lower timing chain cover.

-You will need to swap the oil filter flange (easy to swap but buy two new rubber seals)
-Fuel rails are different and need to be swapped

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
:thumbup: This should be helpful both for people swapping the 3.6 into other cars, and for people keeping older cars on the road. I've added a link to this thread in the B6 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread under "Engine and Electrical".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks G60ING!

This was very helpful. Replaced the engine in my 2007 Touareg that I just purchased with 289,000 km with blown engine. I was able to find a 2014 wrecker engine with 106,000 km. I left the vacuum pump on the back of the head, just capped off the tube, used my original 1 piece intake, used my old HPFP, the olny sensor that was different was the one VVT sensor. The oil filter is different on the newer engine.

Was a pretty simple change over, pulled the front end off and pulled the engine straight out.
Most 2004-10 engines have 240,000 km+ and only $300 less than the newer low Km engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.