VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 1.8L to swap 2.0L on a mk4 golf, but not sure where to begin looking.

I'm more curious with where you generally would have to go to get the engine and if there are places that have them disassembled already.

Scrap yards are good for parts, but pulling an engine out of a wrecker seems exceedingly difficult and the odds of it being healthy are very much against you. ( I think )

tldr; niagara/gta

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Buy a donor car and pick it apart on your driveway. It's the best path forward to a successful swap. Also..... before you get too deep... do your research!! It's not a hard swap, but has potential to go sideways if you're not prepared.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy a donor car and pick it apart on your driveway. It's the best path forward to a successful swap. Also..... before you get too deep... do your research!! It's not a hard swap, but has potential to go sideways if you're not prepared.

Thank you GolfCL Smooth,

Indeed this is a very problematic hobby. Issues can quickly arise upon discovery. (I have the time for error and I have the pockets). I am curious as to what problems you had encountered and have an open ear. I will take your advice given and consider this as the direction I must go. A lot of shops won't help and don't have the time. Buying a 1.8 might be my only option and considering I have the space it very well may be a reality soon.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Thank you GolfCL Smooth,

Indeed this is a very problematic hobby. Issues can quickly arise upon discovery. (I have the time for error and I have the pockets). I am curious as to what problems you had encountered and have an open ear. I will take your advice given and consider this as the direction I must go. A lot of shops won't help and don't have the time. Buying a 1.8 might be my only option and considering I have the space it very well may be a reality soon.

Thank you.
I'm happy to answer any questions you may have in the meantime. I swapped an 03 1.8T AWP engine and trans into my 04 Golf GLS without a donor car, but I took a long time sourcing the related parts and upgrades so I could do it all in one shot. Went smooth, really quite straightforward. You don't NEED a donor car, but you should definitely get on Facebook and join the local MK4 groups, lots of access to scrap cars and part-outs for bits and pieces.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm happy to answer any questions you may have in the meantime. I swapped an 03 1.8T AWP engine and trans into my 04 Golf GLS without a donor car, but I took a long time sourcing the related parts and upgrades so I could do it all in one shot. Went smooth, really quite straightforward. You don't NEED a donor car, but you should definitely get on Facebook and join the local MK4 groups, lots of access to scrap cars and part-outs for bits and pieces.

Thank you GolfCL

I'm curious to know if a mk4 golf/jetta transmission would fit a mk4 gti ( 1.8l )? or is the 1.8 a 6 speed with more mounting bolts?

Did you need to cut any wires when you installed wire harness?

·
Registered
13 GSW 2.5 6MT||92 GTI 3.2 5MT||84 Rabbit 1.6D 4MT
5,718 Posts
There are a few places that sell engines/transmissions, Das parts is one, good guys to teal with, but they're located in cambridge I believe? Also, facebook, if you have it, has a pretty robust classified/market place section with lot of people parting out cars, or selling full cars. Like someone said, if you have the space and time, better to get the whole car as you can upgrade a few items from your current car with that from the other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are a few places that sell engines/transmissions, Das parts is one, good guys to teal with, but they're located in cambridge I believe? Also, facebook, if you have it, has a pretty robust classified/market place section with lot of people parting out cars, or selling full cars. Like someone said, if you have the space and time, better to get the whole car as you can upgrade a few items from your current car with that from the other.

Das parts is great. Been there a couple. They were super helpful and had exactly what I was looking for and in pristine condition.

I've reached a point of no return to be honest. I've already removed the 2.0l and transmission, rebuilt the suspension and brakes with gti parts. Also like challenges and I'm not afraid to **** something up. Although I would agree, it is easier to just buy the car with the engine.

Thanks Tealbucket

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Das parts is great. Been there a couple. They were super helpful and had exactly what I was looking for and in pristine condition.

I've reached a point of no return to be honest. I've already removed the 2.0l and transmission, rebuilt the suspension and brakes with gti parts. Also like challenges and I'm not afraid to **** something up. Although I would agree, it is easier to just buy the car with the engine.

Thanks Tealbucket
You can re-use your 2.0L 5 spd transmission, but the gearing is a little short for highway driving. The 1.8T 5 spd is slightly longer. You can cheat a little with a 5th gear set from a TDI transmission to compensate (I have one on my 1.8T 5 spd). Ideal setup would be the 6 spd but it i significantly more expensive and harder to find, and requires swapping over more parts (axles, hubs, starter, shift linkage).

What are your goals for the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can re-use your 2.0L 5 spd transmission, but the gearing is a little short for highway driving. The 1.8T 5 spd is slightly longer. You can cheat a little with a 5th gear set from a TDI transmission to compensate (I have one on my 1.8T 5 spd). Ideal setup would be the 6 spd but it i significantly more expensive and harder to find, and requires swapping over more parts (axles, hubs, starter, shift linkage).

I'd like it to compete in rallycross or rally racing at some point. It will be a track car. Think I could I get away with a 2.0l 5 speed?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

When you define it as short. Are you saying it would slip out of gear easier? Gearing short and long. I don't know what this means I've been driving stick for 10 years.

Thanks GolfCL Smooth :)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
When you define it as short. Are you saying it would slip out of gear easier? Gearing short and long. I don't know what this means I've been driving stick for 10 years.

Thanks GolfCL Smooth :)
haha no problem. In your case, 'short' might be to your advantage for the type of racing you describe. You'll be living at high revs, don't have to worry about fuel economy or engine drone. Short and long referring to gear ratios of course. The 2.0L is quite underpowered and is paired to a transmission with shorter final drive ratio compared to the 1.8T. Shorter gearing / final drive = more torque (acceleration) but lower top speed. In practical terms, you'll be shifting more often and cruising at high RPM's at highway speeds (~3.5K @ 120 km/h). The difference in engine speeds between the two is not drastic, but it makes a difference. Lots of good VW specific information on the forums if you want to take a deeper dive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts