VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm hoping to swap out the radio on my MK6 JSW TDI. I seem to be the only person on Earth that hates having a massive touchscreen in my face while I drive. It came with an RCD-510, and I'm thinking the most reasonable swap would be to a Premium-7. Honestly though, the older the better. Ideally, the only features the radio has are:

CD Player (6 slots not necessary)
AUX input
AM/FM

Now, am I going to encounter any difficulties in doing a swap like this? Will I be causing any issues by swapping to a radio that isn't compatible with back-up camera, bluetooth, and any other fancy nonsense my current radio has?

Please, I'm looking for advice only. Not criticism. Keep the "get with the times" and "you're wasting your effort" to yourself. I'm 25 and I'm trying to distance myself from the constant inundation of excessive technology in every aspect of my life. I just want to get in my GD car and drive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would say go for an RCD310. With it you can keep the Bluetooth functionality. Not the camera tough. You can find a cheap one quite easily too. I got mine for $20.

Sent from my Nokia 3.4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say go for an RCD310. With it you can keep the Bluetooth functionality. Not the camera tough. You can find a cheap one quite easily too. I got mine for $20.

Thanks for the feedback rocco, I might go with the 310. However, I would like to achieve maximum simplicity while retaining the aforementioned functionalities.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question:
What is the simplest/oldest compatible radio that still retains these functions:

CD
Aux
AM/FM

·
Registered
184 Posts
The simplest I can think of that would fit the MK6 fascia would be the base radio on the older MK5 (see picture). There is an identical version with silver buttons which only extra feature is playing mp3 CDs. Any of these will need a code as well so if you get one without code you'll need to spend some extra $ in the code, so keep that in mind.

These would plug in the quad connector but there is a caveat, the auxiliary input wiring is different so to keep it working it has to be re-pinned. Also the antenna connector would require an adapter because these use a different style Fakra connector and will not plug and play.

The aux re-pin is not so complicated (there are tutorials around) and the antenna adapter can be found on eBay for a couple of bucs.

Given these extra adapters and finding one of these radios with the buttons in good condition you might end up spending more for a much older radio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts