VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Im wondering what i have to do to change my 8V head ( on the golf IV 2.0 L ) for a 1.8T 20V. First , is it possible.Second, what is the process to do it, is there any other things to think about like changing computer or pistons ?!?!?!
Or would it be better to go with a 16V? Is there any 16 V that i could fit on this engine? Remember i have the last 2.0 L, it is the short block not the long one....
Please tell me something about that because it seems no 1 ever tryied it before

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Re: Swapping the SOHC 8v head to a 1.8T head or 16V head (Vwracer4ever)

You need to do a little more searching...although I believe that the 16v head is a fairly rare swap. Mine is running great...putting out 325 whp at 1.3 bar with more pressure on tap. The conversion was a lot of work to do, and we are still working out a few kinks here and there (EIP did my conversion for me). Check out my sig for some pics and a link to my car on their site....here's a teaser for you though
IM me with your e-mail if you want a general list of what was envolved...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Swapping the SOHC 8v head to a 1.8T head or 16V head (2.OhhhGTI)

Holly crap what is that engine?!?!?
My golf is the same model, i have evrything too( body kit, chrome 17 rims, altezza tail, wing....) But i never seen your engine before please tell me more man!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
His sig says it's an AEG block with a 16v head (maybe a 9a head) with a bitchin' turbo setup.
You have the AEG motor with the standard 8v head. The 16v is a nice upgrade but is pretty rare on the ABA motor...even more so on the AEG (the one you've got) I'd love to do a 16v head swap on my motor. If you check the hybrid/swap forum, I'm sure you'll find some links.
BTW, if you want the 1.8t, I'd say swap the entire motor or just sell your car and get the 1.8t. It would be easiest that way.

Modified by Clean97GTi at 6:29 PM 10-21-2003

1 - 5 of 5 Posts