VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went autocrossing a couple weeks ago and had an absolute ball! I did very well for my first time out. I won the novice class by a solid 6 seconds (un-pax'd) and by about a second and a half with PAX conversion add) ... I'm running H&R Race springs on Bilstien HD's, a neuspeed strut tower brace, and dunlop S5000 ( I think that's what they are) which are 205/50ZR15's ... tire pressure before racing was about 36-37psi.
Anyhow, I was very happy with the way the car was handling on this fast and open track, my only wish was that it had a bit more rotation to it, ie much more balanced handling between understeer and oversteer ... obviously with a mk3 VR6 I'm pretty front heavy. The only place this became very troublesome was on the hairpin halfway thru the course. However, thru each of the turn I was wishing there was just a tad more "turn".
So after having played many many hours of Grand Turismo A-spec and working on understanding suspension settings thru the game I found that adding more rear sway helpped it get turned a little eaiser... adding alot of front sway helped the midengine rear wheel drive cars from spinning quite so easily... okay so while a game may not have much real world application, I have learned that to get more of that turn that I'm wanting I need to either reduce the diameter of the front sway (undesirable due to increase bodyroll and worse handling) or increase the rear. My only problem is ... how much? Shine recommends removing the front sway when installing their o-bar ... but from my understanding this induces a nice amount of understeer when pressed to the limits. I'm wondering if I were to get a 28mm rear adjustable, and play with the settings a little... or get the shine rear bar and install it with the front installed if that would give my balanced feel I'm looking for.
Anyone?

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Re: Sway Bar info request (ExtremeVR6)

Quote, originally posted by ExtremeVR6 »
Shine recommends removing the front sway when installing their o-bar ... but from my understanding this induces a nice amount of understeer when pressed to the limits. I'm wondering if I were to get a 28mm rear adjustable, and play with the settings a little... or get the shine rear bar and install it with the front installed if that would give my balanced feel I'm looking for.
Anyone?

Leave the front swaybar in place. Their recommendation pertains much more to MK1 rabbits which are race only.
As far as will a rear swaybar make a difference? Hell Yeah!!! The car will do exactly what you are looking for. Neutral handling with an ability to oversteer if driver induced. The car can still understeer under some situations, but overall it will become very very neutral and predictable.
The Shine RSB would be an excellent choice with your setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.